[1.1.5] show-active-entities-on-chunk-counts doesn't show red counts any more

Bugs that are actually features.
Stevetrov
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[1.1.5] show-active-entities-on-chunk-counts doesn't show red counts any more

Post by Stevetrov »

What did you do?

turned on "show-active-entities-on-chunk-counts" debug option.

What happened?
I saw the blue and green counts (the ones for conditionally active entities) but the red count isn't visible

What did you expect to happen instead? It might be obvious to you, but do it anyway!
Expected to see counts of active entities in my factory in red.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.5] show-active-entities-on-chunk-counts doesn't show red counts any more

Post by boskid »

Thanks for the report. This is Not a bug. They were removed in 1.1.0 due to change:
Overall small entity update time reduction + statistics of how much update time is taken by individual entities.

Icnivad
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [1.1.5] show-active-entities-on-chunk-counts doesn't show red counts any more

Post by Icnivad »

Can you elaborate on this change? I'm unclear why that would affect this debug feature and what other methods exist to find active entities in leu of this feature.

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

If you remove something, remove it from the debug menu too, maybe? :)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Icnivad wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:59 pm
Can you elaborate on this change? I'm unclear why that would affect this debug feature and what other methods exist to find active entities in leu of this feature.
The entities are no longer registered per-chunk when they are active but instead per-map. So there is no easy way to count entities per chunk; the game would have to go over every single entity that is active, check what chunk it is on, and then draw that for a given chunk. It would be quite slow and doesn't really matter since the per-chunk part of it is irrelevant now; the chunk isn't forced to be active just because an entity on it is active.
disentius wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:10 pm
If you remove something, remove it from the debug menu too, maybe? :)
There are still some entities which register per-chunk (mainly turrets). So it still has some utility. But at the end of the day the debug features are there for us to use and if a player gets some use out of it too then sure why not.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Icnivad
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Icnivad »

That makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

Return to “Not a bug”