[1.1.x] power pole dragging late when dragging between objects

Bugs that are actually features.
psychomuffin
Inserter
Inserter

[1.1.x] power pole dragging late when dragging between objects

Post by psychomuffin »

Not sure if this is 1.1.0 or 1.1.1, but I noticed if I put a series of solar panels or assemblers in pairs with one space as pictured (allowing for max wood pole distance), the poles are placed a little late. It isn't the same pace as just putting down objects.

I feel this is a bug because they do not behave how you would expect. I actually thought it was broken as first, and started manually placing the poles. Only on later more careful inspection did I see it was late, and I just had to run farther.

I feel the poles should place as soon as they max distance is reached, instead of waiting until the next gap.
powerpole.png
powerpole.png (2.52 MiB) Viewed 1310 times
p.s. I just wanted to say this is the first time I have ever encountered what I feel is a bug in this game. This game, regardless of what the game is, is amazing in its lack of bugs, crashes, low computer resources, low file sizes, responsiveness, user intuitiveness, user feedback, and just general good design. I wish more games were as well designed under the hood as this game. (plus the game it self is awesome too!)

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [1.1.x] power pole dragging late when dragging between objects

Post by Loewchen »

This is not a bug, the pole will place retroactively.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Loewchen wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:24 pm
He realizes, the issue (whether it is or not) is that they don't place until the next gap, rather than at the max distance between poles.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Jap2.0 wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:45 pm
Loewchen wrote:
He realizes, the issue (whether it is or not) is that they don't place until the next gap, rather than at the max distance between poles.
Which is exactly how it is supposed to work.

psychomuffin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by psychomuffin »

Loewchen wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:05 pm
Jap2.0 wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:45 pm
Loewchen wrote:
Which is exactly how it is supposed to work.
But the point is the behavior of the poles with objects is DIFFERENT than the behavior without objects. If I have learned that I can drag and run, and on every 7th square a pole drops, I am like, "oh cool! This mechanic is neat!" But then later, when I am running and I get to that 7th square I think "Huh, it's not working now. Maybe the 8th? nope. 9th? 10th? 11th? nope. nope. nope." I actually gave up before getting to that 14th square. I believe a lot of other players will too.

Even if I am running through the woods dragging large power poles, if one get the the max range, it drops, if no space is available because of trees, it drops to the nearest location that allows it to connect. It does not wait until the pole is at 2x max range, like these poles are.

I'm just trying to say it is inconsistent with user expectations. And on a game that was been so well founded on being user intuitive, it's a little surprising, which is why I had thought it was broken. I for one am SO HAPPY you fixed those other pole issues in FFF362, it just seems this issue fits right in with those other issues.

As I said, 5 years, and I feel this is my first "bug" (In fact, I think the game has only crashed ONCE for me... and I'm not even sure it was the games fault, my have been my computer, lol) I'm trying to say that even if I am being nit-picky, I am still awe-struck with how awesome you all are!

Return to “Not a bug”