[1.0.0] brackets showing where train segments line up gets messed up when copy pasting 2 signals

Bugs that are actually features.
zifu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.0.0] brackets showing where train segments line up gets messed up when copy pasting 2 signals

Post by zifu »

Not sure if this is a bug or not, maybe unclear interaction with the rail overlay.

The white segments denoting where a train will stop at a signal:

If you paste a double signal blueprint into the space between the cars, the white brackets start overlapping and not lining up the way I would think they should line up:

Then, if you move the blueprint left/right along the track without placing it, a ton more white segments will show up on the track:

The usage of this double (or more) rail signal setup is to let the train behind move up into the station as quickly as possible as the leaving train's cars pass the rail signals clearing that segment for the next train.

Apologies if this is not a bug or has been reported before, I had trouble knowing what search term to use to describe the problem.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.0.0] brackets showing where train segments line up gets messed up when copy pasting 2 signals

Post by boskid »

Thanks for the report, however i am not considering this to be a bug.

Rail signals in cursor (simulation), in blueprint (simulation) and after blueprint placement but before they are built (ghost) are not binding to rails so they are unable to prevent train visualisation from other signals to be interrupted at a given point. I could change the train visualisation logic to also look for the ghosts but i see no value added in doing that.

Train visualisation is rendered with exact train stop placement when the train would be stopped at that signal. This includes if the signal splits rail blocks in front or in its back. Straight rail section can be split into multiple blocks but they will always be of the length that is multiple of 2 because every rail belongs to exactly one block and is not split in half. Since you are placing signals after every single rolling stock, you will end up with blocks of length 6 and 8 alternating and this makes train visualisations to be not overlapping as you would expect.

Return to “Not a bug”