[1.0.0] Map Editor Oil removal brush bug

Bugs that are actually features.
ThrashNeon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.0.0] Map Editor Oil removal brush bug

Post by ThrashNeon »

I've searched the forums and mods, but I can't seem to find any discussion of this...

Oil removal in the map editor seems to be broken for map generated oil deposits (or at least it doesn't work like all the other resources).

The brush/spray settings don't work at all for removing generated oil, so it takes a ridiculous amount of time to delete oil in the map editor. You need to use the cursor, change to 800 intensity (max), and right click and hold on every single individual oil resource to remove.

On a rich resource generated map, it takes over TWO MINUTES to delete ONE oil resource (1500-2000% yield) with the cursor. :o

It's strange, because the brushes DO work to add AND remove new oil - but not for generated oil.

For all the other generated ore resources, the removal brushes work as expected.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(4.51 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.0.0] Map Editor Oil removal brush bug

Post by boskid »

Thanks for the report. You can manually type larger intensity like 80000, it will be much faster. Brush works fine for me.

ThrashNeon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ThrashNeon »

boskid wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:48 am
Thanks for the report. You can manually type larger intensity like 80000, it will be much faster. Brush works fine for me.
Thanks for the tip on density.. this works slightly better.
I was able to get the spray tool to work by cranking the intensity, but the brush still does not work at all for me - I use the Mac version 1.0

Black circle is left click, green circle is right click.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc-y_5y0fUM

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by boskid »

Everything still looks fine. Keep in mind behavior difference between spray and brush, when holding spray it will be applied multiple times over same resource entities while brush applies at most once for every resource entity during single mouse click. When you place new crude oil resources with single click they are able to be removed by single right click, but generated resources have more yield and are not removed by 1 single brush usage.

ThrashNeon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ThrashNeon »

boskid wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:39 am
Everything still looks fine. Keep in mind behavior difference between spray and brush, when holding spray it will be applied multiple times over same resource entities while brush applies at most once for every resource entity during single mouse click. When you place new crude oil resources with single click they are able to be removed by single right click, but generated resources have more yield and are not removed by 1 single brush usage.
I would suggest that absolutely no visual feedback when removing oil with the brush unless intensity is set to 10000 times greater than the default brush density is still a bug (or at least poor/inconsistant UI/UX).

Since you can not see the yield of oil patches when using the brush or spray for removal, you can't tell that the removal brush is doing anything at all - unless you switch back to the cursor and mouse over the patch.

When using the brush or spray to remove any other ores, you get immediate visual feedback - you can see the density of the ores reduce visually on the ground, as well as seeing the density numbers in the tooltip when mousing over/using the brush.
For oil, you get nothing.

EDIT: You DO get combined oil yield tooltip with the brush in map mode, but not when actually editing. Being able to see this when using the brush would completely solve the problem.

Return to “Not a bug”