[Low priority][Graphical] Shadows darken "glowing" objects (eg rail signals)

Bugs that are actually features.
Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[Low priority][Graphical] Shadows darken "glowing" objects (eg rail signals)

Post by Reika »

Notice how the selected rail chain signal looks darkened by the shadow falling across it, despite it ostensibly being a lighted object.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Low priority][Graphical] Shadows darken "glowing" objects (eg rail signals)

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however that's just how it works when it's all just sprites: a lot of shadows are just gray transparent textures and when you render one over top of another it darkens it giving the shadow effect. There's no real light engine at play in the game - just sprites on sprites.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [Low priority][Graphical] Shadows darken "glowing" objects (eg rail signals)

Post by Reika »

Rseding91 wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:30 am
Thanks for the report however that's just how it works when it's all just sprites: a lot of shadows are just gray transparent textures and when you render one over top of another it darkens it giving the shadow effect. There's no real light engine at play in the game - just sprites on sprites.
I know, but render layers are a thing, so you could ensure "glowing" objects come on top of shadows.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Reika wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:20 am
I know, but render layers are a thing, so you could ensure "glowing" objects come on top of shadows.
I think that for semi proper solution lights layer would need to be used to lighten shadows when they are rendered.
Applying light after shadow is placed will give visible dimming there.

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

orzelek wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:30 am
I think that for semi proper solution lights layer would need to be used to lighten shadows when they are rendered.
This is about the sprite itself, not whatever light the entity emits.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:09 am
orzelek wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:30 am
This is about the sprite itself, not whatever light the entity emits.
I was hoping that when rendering shadows you have lightmap ready - so if rendering shadow of any entity it could be suppresed in places where there is a light on lightmap.

Return to β€œNot a bug”