[1.0.0] Ribbon/Rail World Lacking Oil

Bugs that are actually features.
seltha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.0.0] Ribbon/Rail World Lacking Oil

Post by seltha »

Created a new Ribbon/Rail World blend for 1.0.0 using the following map string.

Code: Select all

>>>eNpjZEAAewaGBnsOluT8xJzVq1bZMTA4OIBEuJLzCwpSi3Tzi
1KRhTmTi0pTUnXzM1EVp+al5lbqJiUWp4K4MMyRWZSfh24Ca3FJf
h6qSElRamoxskbu0qLEvMzSXHS9DIzamW81GlrkGBqALv9fz6Dw/
z8IA1kPgAIgzMDYAFEJFIMB1uSczLQ0BgYFRyB2AkkzMjJWi6xzf
1g1xZ4RokbPAcr4ABU5kAQT8YQx/BxwSqnAGCZI5hiDwWckBsTSE
qAVUFUcDggGRLIFJMnI2Pt264Lvxw7YMf5Z+fGSb1KCPaOhq8i7D
0br7ICS7CB/MsGJWTNBYCfMKwwwMx/YQ6Vu2jOePQMCb+wZWUE6R
ECEgwWQOODNzMAowAdkLegBEgoyDDCn2cGMEXFgTAODbzCfPIYxL
tuj+wMYEDYgw+VAxAkQAbYQ7jJGCNOh34HRQR4mK4lQAtRvxIDsh
hSED0/CrD2MZD+aQzAjAtkfaCIqDliigQtkYQqceMEMdw0wPC+ww
3gO8x0YmUEMkKovQDEIDyQDMwpCCzgwI2U3YLJYb+9lDwA/HqaN<<<
Couldn't find any oil within a reasonable distance of spawn, so I loaded it in the map editor to see just how far it was. There's a patch at -18,000ish. But no way to get there with all the biters in between. Chicken/egg thing. Need oil to make good weapons to kill behemoth worms, can't get oil because behemoth worms in the way.

If I turn off the Ribbon (map height limitation), there's some oil within a reasonable distance northeast of spawn.

I dunno if it's a bug or a feature request at this point, but if when generating a map, check to see if there's oil missing within a certain radius (+/-32 chunks?) and spawn a backup well somewhere so we could at least tap it and get coal liquefaction up and running :)

And/or add some way to get coal liquefaction up and running without the initial injection of heavy oil?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.0.0] Ribbon/Rail World Lacking Oil

Post by Rseding91 »

None of that is a bug. You're playing with *severely* reduced resource generation and severely reduced map size in one dimension of course it's going to be hard to find resources. Oil does not generate in the starting area; it is random outside of it. As such there is no guarantee that it's anywhere near the starting area - especially if you steak the generation values.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Not a bug”