[1.0.0] Changing username doesn't update character mid game

Bugs that are actually features.
Xarovin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[1.0.0] Changing username doesn't update character mid game

Post by Xarovin »

I updated my username on here a month or two back, and I was still set to my old name within the game. I just updated it today (by re-logging in the game settings) and noticed the username doesn't update on the map.

It's an extremely minor issue, I couldn't find anything through a quick search though so thought I may as well report it.

Steps if it's not obvious:
  • Update username in game (can be either the LAN name or re-logging via Steam)
  • Hit "m" to see your character with the old username
My suggestion:
  • Update the player character's username if the player changes it mid game. Perhaps it'd be an action that integrates with the lockstep system to ensure it works for MP.
  • Perhaps have some sort of a flag set after changing username on the website, which the game would be able to query periodically (once a day/week or something) to detect if it needs to update the cached data.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.0.0] Changing username doesn't update character mid game

Post by Klonan »

You can just use
/swap-players <old_username>
to fix it

Xarovin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Xarovin »

Klonan wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:39 am
You can just use
/swap-players <old_username>
to fix it
Thanks, though the /swap-players command resulted in the message "Cannot swap players with yourself".

There's no issues with the gameplay (apologies if it came across that way), it's only the character label that's incorrect. I hadn't realised the old username would persist after reloading, but I can live with it for now, it just seems a bit of an unpolished part of an otherwise very polished game :)

Edit: While on the subject of usernames, I noticed the forum has my old one too - an old post suggests to message you about changing it, is that still cool?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Ah right, You have the opposite problem that is usual

Usually people complain that they have changed names, and now in-game they have no items (as they are spawned as a new player with the new name)

I can update your forum name if you tell me what you want

Return to “Not a bug”