[0.18.38] Left clicking on a blueprint and placing into inventory removes print from book, pt. 2

Bugs that are actually features.
Ichbinderkuli
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.18.38] Left clicking on a blueprint and placing into inventory removes print from book, pt. 2

Post by Ichbinderkuli »

So I fired up Factorio this morning and I discovered that when selecting a blueprint from a blueprint book with the "left click" to build, and I decide to place that blueprint into my inventory, or on my hotbar, the game no longer places a copy from the blueprint book into inventory/hotbar. It instead takes the ACTUAL blueprint out of the book and places it into inventory/hotbar.

This is a vastly different behavior and I do not believe this is intended. If someone were to delete the prints in inventory/hotbar. they are GONE.
The above was taken from a previous post, which was moved to the "not a bug". Well if it's a feature, then why do my blueprints keep being pulled from my blueprint books in my blueprint library if, after I use the blueprint or directly insert it into my inventory from my hand, it is no longer in the BP library?

This is a direct expert from the FFF #356 detailing the new BP library function:
You don't have to learn anything new and just manipulate the objects exactly the same way you are used to and it just feels right.
So if that is the case, then this IS indeed a bug as the functionality has changed from pre-BP library update. If it is not a bug, and instead a feature where is the documentation or instructions on how to use this "feature". Because I can 100% be sure my experience has changed in the usage of the BP library. And I don't want to accidentally delete a BP I worked for hours on because I didn't pick the print, click the copy button because my muscle memory after over a year of playing says I don't have to do that.

Just looking for an explanation.

Ichbinderkuli
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.18.38] Left clicking on a blueprint and placing into inventory removes print from book, pt. 2

Post by Ichbinderkuli »

Minor Features
Grabbing an item from a blueprint book has the same hand item functionality as when holding an item from inventory, so it goes back to the original position when clean cursor is triggered.
If this is the feature that is supposedly tied to my issue, then there still is a change of function. Again, I can left click to build/grab the BP, but when I place it into my inventory/hotbar, it does not return the original back to the BP book as it used to. It actually removed the BP from a book/library as in if in the old way I picked up and held the BP to move it in and out of things.

Again, I'm confused as I am experiencing a different experience than pre-update.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.18.38] Left clicking on a blueprint and placing into inventory removes print from book, pt. 2

Post by Rseding91 »

Clicking an item directly into your inventory IS the explicit way to tell the game "I want this to be an item and I want it to be in this inventory slot".

If that's not what you want: don't do that. That's how it has worked in the past and how it works now. If that didn't work that way there would be no way to remove a blueprint from a book aside from deleting it.

You press "Q" to clear the cursor and "send the item back to where I got it"
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by boskid »

This is working exactly as it was designed: blueprints are copied only when using a copy button. If you move blueprint out, it is not where it was taken from.

Return to “Not a bug”