500 Degree Steam valid in Coal Liquification?

Bugs that are actually features.
Stlyau
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

500 Degree Steam valid in Coal Liquification?

Post by Stlyau »

Is this an intended action or just an oversight? I used 500 Degree Steam siphoned from a Nuclear build (Heat Exchanger), put it into a refinery and it ran. Elsewhere I had previously used 165 Degree Steam from a Boiler. Both should not be valid options for the recipe. If there are two different temps to determine power output of Steam Engines (165) and Steam Turbines (500), then they should be considered separate fluid items.

The 165 Degree should be used in the current "Basic" Coal Liquification, while the 500 Degree could be used in a new Advanced Coal Liquification technology researched after Nuclear Processing (pre-requisite). This would of course require more coal in the recipe but yield better output similar to how Advanced Oil Processing used to be, better efficiency. This would be an excellent source of siphoning off excess heat from Reactors (over power consumption needs) to utilize used heat created from a fuel cell over it's 2000 seconds This could be a way of introducing a "Nuclear Meltdown" event, if Reactors were left at too high a temp for too long.

Circuit controlling insertion based on Steam levels has two possible outcomes, you still waste full once Steam reaches the desired level or you possibly lose too much heat in Reactor while awaiting the Steam to get to minimum levels, thus still requiring more cells to "reheat" the Reactors over 500 to start Exchangers. I actually like the thought of siphoning 500 Degree Steam from a Nuclear build to do Coal Liquification, but I don't wanna go re-designing my current Nuclear and Coal Liquification if the 500 Degree Steam is not an intended material option and just an error.

I await your response.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 500 Degree Steam valid in Coal Liquification?

Post by Loewchen »

If the recipe asks for steam, you put in steam and it works it is not a bug.

Stlyau
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: 500 Degree Steam valid in Coal Liquification?

Post by Stlyau »

I guess my biggest issue is that you have it classified as Steam is Steam no matter the temperature unless it comes power generation. After playing so many of the recipe overhaul mods (Angel's for example), some recipes only work with one temp of that fluid type and that doesn't seem to be the case here. I just needed clarification that it's gonna stay this way in Vanilla recipe, that both are valid sources. I don't feel like coming up with a design and having it completely broken after it's deemed only 165 degree is the valid steam option. I don't use Crude Oil much on that map and such a breakage of a build would crippled the entire map.

Thanks for response.

Return to “Not a bug”