[0.17.79] Entities in the corner of a substation's electrical range are not reachable by red/green wires

Bugs that are actually features.
JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.17.79] Entities in the corner of a substation's electrical range are not reachable by red/green wires

Post by JasonC »

Entities near the corners of a substation's electrical power range cannot be connected to that substation with circuit network wiring.

For all other types of electric poles, the circuit network wiring range covers at least the entire electrical power range. However, the range circle around the substation is just a few tiles short of allowing all components it can power to also be connected to it via red/green wires.

Here, the stone tiles mark the corners of the electrical range:

wiring1.png
wiring1.png (4.11 MiB) Viewed 1198 times

Unlike the other poles, however, the three tiles in each corner of the substation's range cannot be reached with red/green wires:

wiring2.png
wiring2.png (1.92 MiB) Viewed 1198 times

The expectation is that any component that a pole can power should also be able to be connected to that pole via red/green wires.
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.79] Entities in the corner of a substation's electrical range are not reachable by red/green wires

Post by boskid »

Supply area and wire reach are 2 different things that are defined separately in prototype. There was never any guarantee that wire will reach every corner of supplied area. I will mark this Not a bug. If you want to discuss, i may move this to balancing instead.

-- edit:
In fact, substation has wire reach that is enough to connect to every entity in its supply area. Lamp however, does not have enough wire reach to be connected to substation. Max connection distance is taken as lower value from entities to be connected.

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.79] Entities in the corner of a substation's electrical range are not reachable by red/green wires

Post by JasonC »

boskid wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:32 pm
-- edit:
In fact, substation has wire reach that is enough to connect to every entity in its supply area. Lamp however, does not have enough wire reach to be connected to substation. Max connection distance is taken as lower value from entities to be connected.
Ah; this seems reasonable.

Thanks for the updated explanation.

I think "not a bug" is appropriate.

Thanks!
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

boskid wrote:
Supply area and wire reach are 2 different things that are defined separately in prototype. There was never any guarantee that wire will reach every corner of supplied area.
Why some entities have rectangle radius, but some have round radius effect/connection?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

darkfrei wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:12 pm
boskid wrote:
Supply area and wire reach are 2 different things that are defined separately in prototype. There was never any guarantee that wire will reach every corner of supplied area.
Why some entities have rectangle radius, but some have round radius effect/connection?
Because that's how it was decided to work.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Not a bug”