Updating mods that require new dependencies.

Bugs that are actually features.
motolly
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Updating mods that require new dependencies.

Post by motolly »

Py's now requires separate graphics mods to be installed for each corresponding portion of the various Py mods. When installing new dependencies as a result of the update process it would be nice to get a warning so you know what's being installed. I hit cancel after the update list said "mods up to date" as I thought there was some bug causing the progress bar to get stuck.

This also results in mods downloaded without my knowledge being enabled automatically.

motolly
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Updating mods that require new dependencies.

Post by motolly »

Attached showing the "mods up to date", with the progress bar continuing. It's not a huge issue for me because my internet speed is pretty good, but I could imagine a lot of people on slower connection would think some process failed and quit early.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-01-28 15-36-54.png
Screenshot from 2020-01-28 15-36-54.png (1.12 MiB) Viewed 1684 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however I'm not sure what more you could want. It's literally showing a "Currently downloading: N/N" with a progress bar that's moving and a % indicator. How else could it say "I"m downloading something still"?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

I haven't run into this myself, but I will say that it seems odd that it would report that "All mods are up to date" when there are still outstanding update/installation actions being preformed.

motolly
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by motolly »

Okay, but the problem of the new mods downloaded without indication being enabled due to the updating old mods still exists.

motolly
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by motolly »

invisus wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:10 pm
I haven't run into this myself, but I will say that it seems odd that it would report that "All mods are up to date" when there are still outstanding update/installation actions being preformed.
That's my problem exactly. Occasionally the connection to WUBE's servers slows down during a mod update, and with huge mods like Pyanodon's without an indication of what it's actually doing it just looks like something failed. The first time this happened I had walked away to come back with it appearing to be stuck.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I think what I'll do is stick the name of the thing being downloaded above the progress bar.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

motolly wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:36 pm
This also results in mods downloaded without my knowledge being enabled automatically.
Settings -> Other -> Automatically enable new mods

Controls this behaviour.
Rseding91 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:43 pm
I think what I'll do is stick the name of the thing being downloaded above the progress bar.
That would be perfect, thank you. I had noticed that the the mod is removed from the update list on the left, so unless we are actually monitoring what was there, the current download is an unknown.

Return to “Not a bug”