[0.17.79] Steam Experimental Beta warning, even though marked as stable

Bugs that are actually features.
kizrak
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.17.79] Steam Experimental Beta warning, even though marked as stable

Post by kizrak »

So I'm using 0.17.79 - Factorio Stable 0.17.79 from Steam. Keyword being "Stable". Screenshot:
Steam Game Beta Properties
Steam Game Beta Properties
v1QRePllnO.png (10.19 KiB) Viewed 1176 times

But when I load the game, I see "experimental" beta warning. Screenshot:
In Factorio, Experimental Beta Warning
In Factorio, Experimental Beta Warning
nFDDYquZ52.png (748.23 KiB) Viewed 1176 times

I wouldn't expect an experimental beta warning when using a "Stable" version from Steam.

Not a big deal, but from reading Release Notes and Friday Facts, it sounds like there will be more "Stable" versions in the near future. It would be nice to not get the experimental beta warning when using those versions.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.79] Steam Experimental Beta warning, even though marked as stable

Post by Klonan »

It is still accurate, your branch won't be updated if we release a new stable update

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

To give more context:

The option for "Betas" you have selected will not get updates but stay at version 0.17.79, just as Klonan has explained before.
And this is what the warning is about: You won't get updates for it.
I agree that it is easy to misread the message. Maybe a rephrasing of this message could help people understand better what it is about …
When I saw it for the first time, I myself had to read the message three times before understanding where the emphasis is.

If you want to switch to the stable branch and get future updates for the stable, you should switch to "NONE - Opt out of all beta programs" at the top of the list.
If you want to get experimental, you should choose "0.17.x - latest experimental" at the bottom of the list.
Every other choice is a pinned version and will display this message, because it will not automatically update.

kizrak
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by kizrak »

Along with those ideas, I could see an optimization that if you are on a pinned version, but that pinned happens to be head/latest, then you don't get a warning.

Thanks Klonan & valneq !

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

kizrak wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:57 pm
Along with those ideas, I could see an optimization that if you are on a pinned version, but that pinned happens to be head/latest, then you don't get a warning.
Keep in mind that "[0.17.x] - latest experimental" is not a pinned version.

The warning should be something like
"This version of Factorio won't be updated automatically. To make sure you get the latest updates select either "latest experimental" as Beta in Factorio properties in steam, or opt out of the Beta versions to get the latest stable release."
I hope it is clear that it should be displayed every time you start a pinned version (maybe only the first time).

Return to “Not a bug”