[0.17.62] trapped in invisible 'box' after running against belt along miners with a corner before the row of miners

Bugs that are actually features.
Marviniusus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.17.62] trapped in invisible 'box' after running against belt along miners with a corner before the row of miners

Post by Marviniusus »

This seems to happen only under very specific circumstances; In multiplayer, if I run against the direction of a fast belt going between miners and I push against one row of miners, i.e. actually trying to go NE on a belt going W and the belt enters the row of miners from the south so that there's a turn immediately before the belt enters the row of miners then when I exit east I will be trapped in an invisible box one square NE of the exit and I can't go N or E, only S or W. I can't reproduce this with normal belts or in singleplayer.
If I just run E along the edge of miners closest to the outside of the corner I also get this behaviour.

This also works if the belt turning into the row of miners is coming from the north instead of south, then it's just flipped.

I have not been able to reproduce it in singleplayer, with normal belts or with assemblers instead of miners.

First image is running NE along the miners

Second image is the invisible box the player is trapped in

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.62] trapped in invisible 'box' after running against belt along miners with a corner before the row of miners

Post by Klonan »

Thanks for the report, we appriciate you taking the time to make an account and the bug report

Thats a lot of mods,
Can you provide a save game and log file?

Marviniusus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.17.62] trapped in invisible 'box' after running against belt along miners with a corner before the row of miners

Post by Marviniusus »

I made a multiplayer game that demonstrates the behaviour. Turns out only the corner belt needs to be a fast belt.

To activate the bug, just run along the lowest row of iron ore miners while trying to go SE. Player will be stuck at the fast corner belt.

I noticed that I get caught immediately in the corner instead of about a tile further out. I figure it's because I host this game locally and there is otherwise some lag which means I'm allowed to go a little further.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(7.44 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
cornerbug.zip
(4.04 MiB) Downloaded 42 times

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

What is happening, the curving red belt is a perfect match for the player speed, so he cannot make any progress onto the belt

In MP, the latency hiding makes it seem as through your player character is a little ahead of where you really are,
Which is why you appear to be 'stuck' with no obstable, the belt is holding you back, but the latency hiding is not showing that to you

I will move this to not a big

Marviniusus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Marviniusus »

Just to be clear, if the entire belt is a fast belt this still happens. I can run against it just fine until I reach the corner, then I'm stuck.

Marviniusus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Marviniusus »

...is it because the outside of a fast belt is going too fast for a player without exoskeleton to run against?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Marviniusus wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:02 pm
...is it because the outside of a fast belt is going too fast for a player without exoskeleton to run against?
Exactly, the outside corner moves faster

Return to “Not a bug”