[0.17.55] Multi-Directional Trains Picking Paths Incorrectly Depending On Other Train's Mode

Bugs that are actually features.
kaleb418
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.17.55] Multi-Directional Trains Picking Paths Incorrectly Depending On Other Train's Mode

Post by kaleb418 »

Currently I have two locomotives running on the same tracks, with several different stations, networks and intersections for them to go to. There is one station that is along the main track path, so I added a passing lane for trains that need to pass the station if another train is already parked there. However, when two trains head towards the intersection, the train behavior seems to glitch. The train first to arrive (the top train in the video) will stop, as expected, and wait for the other train to leave the next block. But the arriving train (the bottom one in the video) chooses to ignore the open block that it could use to head towards its destination, instead heading for the block already occupied by the already-stopped train. I've thoroughly tested the intersections: the trains can all get where they're supposed to be going and my signals are working as intended. Strangely enough, if I back up the bottom train and set the already-stopped train to "Manual" mode, the incoming train (bottom) will choose the correct path.

After testing this a bit, I found that adding another pass-through around the station in the middle allows the bottom train to maneuver around the station and continue onward. But why would the station be preventing the train from entering the block?

Please see the attached video for clarity (apologies for the low quality, Windows screwed it up when I trimmed it :/ )
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(10.46 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Factorio 0.16.51 2019-07-10 00-14-17.mp4
(33.33 MiB) Downloaded 146 times
Last edited by kaleb418 on Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wobbycarly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.16.51] Multi-Directional Trains Picking Paths Incorrectly Depending On Other Train's Mode

Post by wobbycarly »

I reckon if you put (chain) signals before the branch that might help.

kaleb418
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.16.51] Multi-Directional Trains Picking Paths Incorrectly Depending On Other Train's Mode

Post by kaleb418 »

Unfortunately, if I add chain signals for trains entering the intersection, they won't enter if another train also wants to enter, rendering the passing lane useless.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

If you can produce this in the latest version, post the save with the player next to the train please.

kaleb418
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kaleb418 »

Loewchen wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:08 am
If you can produce this in the latest version, post the save with the player next to the train please.
Sure thing, I've confirmed it's reproducible in 0.17.55 and attached the save folder.
Attachments
Best Game Ever.zip
(24.6 MiB) Downloaded 82 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.17.55] Multi-Directional Trains Picking Paths Incorrectly Depending On Other Train's Mode

Post by Loewchen »

This is just really bad track design/signalling.
You have a station on the west path that the northbound train would have to pass through while not in schedule, making this option so costly that it prefers the east path even though it is occupied. Only once you increase the penalty by setting the occupying train to manual will the train take the west path.
Generally you should never allow the possibility for trains to go head to head on a two way track, use chain signals or remove signals on this part of the track to prevent that. NaB.

kaleb418
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.17.55] Multi-Directional Trains Picking Paths Incorrectly Depending On Other Train's Mode

Post by kaleb418 »

Oh gotcha, thanks. I'm still trying to figure proper track designing out ;)

Return to “Not a bug”