[0.17.20] "Pick ghost item if no items are available" doesn't trigger when items run out

Bugs that are actually features.
jarcionek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.17.20] "Pick ghost item if no items are available" doesn't trigger when items run out

Post by jarcionek »

Not sure if bug or a feature...

I have the "Pick ghost item if no items are available" Interface Setting enabled.

I am placing the belts (or any other building), when I place the last belt from my inventory, I would expect to be holding a ghost belt in my hand, but the actual behaviour is that the hand becomes empty and I have to click the belt on the bar again.

This is especially annoying when the logistic bots are supplying the belts.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.20] "Pick ghost item if no items are available" doesn't trigger when items run out

Post by Twinsen »

It's intended behavior, to give clear feedback that your item as run out.
You need to explicitly select the ghost, otherwise it would lead to many situations where you end up building a bunch of ghosts by accident.

jarcionek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.17.20] "Pick ghost item if no items are available" doesn't trigger when items run out

Post by jarcionek »

And what when I am placing ghost items by shift + LMB? It also removes the item from my hand when I run out of items.

I don't care whether I place an item now or a ghost that construction robots will place later. I just want to run across and place the belt (or any other building) and I can't because I am being constantly interrupted.

jarcionek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jarcionek »

If I don't have an item in the inventory, when I select it from the toolbar, its ghost is permanently put in my hand. Even if logistic robots supply the items and I run out of them, the ghost still stays in my hand.

This is cannot be achieved when I have items in inventory. Even if I place the items using shift + LMB, when I run out of items, the hand is emptied.

This leads to situations like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNYF_V51h_g&t=10 (a video recorded specially for you ;) ). Having a logistic network request for 100 belts and being within the logistic network, makes me unable to place the belt, as every 1-2 seconds (after logistic robots provide the belts and I run out of them again) the belt is removed from my hand.

The behaviour I would expect when "Pick ghost item if no items are available" is enabled, is that once I run out of items, the item held in the hand is replaced with its ghost, so I can continue placing the items that will be constructed by robots later.

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

jarcionek wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:04 am
The behaviour I would expect when "Pick ghost item if no items are available" is enabled, is that once I run out of items, the item held in the hand is replaced with its ghost, so I can continue placing the items that will be constructed by robots later.
I'd have to agree here.

jarcionek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jarcionek »

From this, almost 2 years old, thread: viewtopic.php?p=296065
Xiphoris wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:12 pm
Feature Request #2: When a player has just placed the last item from their inventory, the game should switch automatically to placing blueprints of that item. Perhaps this should always happen, or perhaps it should happen only when using the Dropper tool. This is a QoL improvement because it avoids disrupting the player's "flow" while designing their factory. Otherwise, running out of an item becomes an interruption, which requires the player to replenish that item, or pick up one of the items they just placed in order to put down blueprints of it.
Twinsen wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:47 pm
#1 and #2 are planned.
Does this mean that this feature has been abandoned and will not be implemented?

jarcionek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jarcionek »

Good to know how you run things:

Close reports as duplicates telling the OP to raise their issues on the other report.
The other report is trashed and no developer responds to any comments on it.

Amazing work, guys! Keep going!

And now seriously - I fixed it myself, so don't bother.

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/GhostInHand

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

I too find it annoying when I'm trying to ghost-place a long concrete road and my robots place my one stack before I get anywhere near enough ghosts on the ground. Now that the "disable roboport" button is in the toolbar, I just disable my personal robots while I'm blueprinting stuff for the network robots to build. Does seem like the real solution is the ability to select a ghost item from your toolbar whether or not you have it in inventory. But neat mod nonetheless!

Return to “Not a bug”