[0.10.12] Can't Save With Multiple Factorio Instances

Bugs that are actually features.
elliotpotts
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.10.12] Can't Save With Multiple Factorio Instances

Post by elliotpotts »

If you are playing a game of factorio and you open another instance of factorio, the first game cannot be saved because the second instance deletes the temp folder.

To reproduce:
  • Open instance A of factorio
  • Open a game (campaign or free play) (this creates temp and temp/currently-playing directories)
  • Open instance B of factorio (this deletes temp/* directories)
  • Go back to instance A of factorio and try to save (this creates temp/currently-saving directory)
  • The save will fail because temp/currently-playing cannot be found. (This is the bug)
To possibly fix from there:
  • Go back to instance B of factorio (or open a new one if you closed it) and open a new game which is of the type (free play vs campaign) of game that instance A is running (this creates temp/currently-playing)
  • Go back to instance A of factorio and save. The save will work this time possible
  • Close instance B of factorio and continue playing as normal
If there is a mismatch in game types between A and B during the fix, the save will not load correctly.

Edit: I'm on linux x64 though this doesn't look to be platform dependent

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.10.12] Can't Save With Multiple Factorio Instances

Post by Boogieman14 »

I would think this is not really a bug, as you're not expected to run two instances from the same directory (in fact, I think the Windows version will even die with some error message about that temp directory). The solution is to make a copy of the entire factorio directory and start the second instance from there.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Yes, this is not a bug, two instances can be used if factorio is in distinct directories.

elliotpotts
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by elliotpotts »

This is definitely a bug, to allow the user to possibly silently lose their game? Starting a new instance of factorio in the same directory should show an error message and not start at least!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I see that the same. A program can be started as often as wanted. It needs to prevent itself from being obviously misused. Every operating system provides locking mechanisms to prevent this effectively.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jeroon »

elliotpotts wrote:Edit: I'm on linux x64 though this doesn't look to be platform dependent
I haven't tested on 0.10.12, but 0.11.3 on Win 7 x64 gives me an error when I try to start a second instance, "Can't start because log files are in use by other process" (the first instance).

elliotpotts
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by elliotpotts »

So maybe this is platform dependent. Either way this is certainly a bug. Factorio should refuse to open when a second instance is launched at least. Can this be moved from "Not a bug"?

Return to “Not a bug”