[0.17.9] Inserters not working properly

Bugs that are actually features.
Sergchen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.17.9] Inserters not working properly

Post by Sergchen »

For some reason the top and right inserters refuse to unload the transport belts until the bottom chest is full. And when it is full, they start working the way they are supposed to, e.i. taking turns and sharing belts between themselves. But as soon as the bottom chest gets some free space again, they stop working again.

ezgif-5-96c8d1e2130d.gif
ezgif-5-96c8d1e2130d.gif (3.38 MiB) Viewed 2367 times

Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out the conditions needed for such malfunction. But it is not the setup, because if I make a blueprint and move it to any other place, it works just fine. But when I return it to the exact same place it was taken from, the same thing happens.

And a couple of other things which might help:
- I encountered this bug while playing 0.16.51 shortly before 0.17 release but couldn't report it up until now. So the savefile I attached was started in 0.16.51;
- there were actually three times it happened. The first time it was similar setup but the top chest got prioritized, this time - the bottom chest. And once it was a 2x2 Nuclear Reactor setup with inserters on top and bottom. And the top inserters refused to load the Uranium Fuel Cells into the 2 top Reactors while the bottom ones worked fine;
- the situation doesn't change if top and bottom lines of "inserter-chest-inserter" are replaced with long-hand inserters. Until there is space is bottom assembler only the bottom inserter will work

2019-03-10 15-08-39.mp4
(5.23 MiB) Downloaded 77 times
World test.zip
(5.34 MiB) Downloaded 71 times

Nefrums
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.17.9] Inserters not working properly

Post by Nefrums »

This is not new, it is related to the inserters being in different chunks. Turn on the grid and you'll see.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

This setup simply does not work, when the assembler produces less than one inserter can move, you run the chance that only one inserter will move it.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Loewchen wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:46 pm
This setup simply does not work, when the assembler produces less than one inserter can move, you run the chance that only one inserter will move it.
Of course one belt assembler is not enough to run two other assemblers at full speed, but usually both get some part of the production

Nefrums
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nefrums »

Loewchen wrote:
If all inserters are in the same chunk it does work. The inserters move every second item.

Sergchen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Sergchen »

Nefrums wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:24 pm
This is not new, it is related to the inserters being in different chunks. Turn on the grid and you'll see.
Oh, I see it now.

Chunks.jpg
Chunks.jpg (134.6 KiB) Viewed 2330 times

I have just checked, the other effected setups were also in different chunks.
Thanks for explaining

Sergchen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Sergchen »

Loewchen wrote:
You are right. I replaced Fast Inserters with orange ones and this setup started working the way it should
Thanks

Return to “Not a bug”