Bugs that are actually features.
stretch611
Inserter
Inserter

[0.17.8] Inserter Priority

Post by stretch611 »

Screenshot at 2019-03-07 15-45-32.png
Screenshot at 2019-03-07 15-45-32.png (2.48 MiB) Viewed 1073 times
I'm not sure if this is a bug, or if my expectations are incorrect.

In the above screenshot, after I placed the assemblers and inserters, I expected the middle assembler to create steel chests then alternate among all the inserters to place the steel chests into the provider chest above and the assemblers to either side (which would then make logistic chests.)

Instead, after adding initial power to the assemblers and inserters, only the left inserter moved steel chests to the assembler creating passive provider chests. Once that assembler stopped accepting chests (due to production backing up when its output inserter was turned of by the logistic network), the steel chests alternated between the passive provider chest to the north, and the assembler to the east.

Why did the left inserter get everything until it could not output more? After that output alternated between the top and right inserters? As long as output did not backup, shouldn't all 3 inserters have been alternated between since it started?

I have a save file from the time that it was only outputting to the left inserter/assembler machine if you can not reproduce the problem on your own.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.8] Inserter Priority

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however your assumptions are incorrect. There is no round-robin priority with inserters - it's simply what ever one happens to be first in the list of entities to update on a given chunk.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Not a bug”