[0.17.4] Biters Spawning In Cleared and Secured Areas

Bugs that are actually features.
jcheung9941
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.17.4] Biters Spawning In Cleared and Secured Areas

Post by jcheung9941 »

Started a multiplayer game with no mods on 0.17.2; relaunched game in 0.17.3; relaunched in 0.17.4 with Squeak Through

Cleared out an area to expand to, and a few hours later (I left the game running while sleeping) a bunch of biters spawned in my cleared area and started attacking my mines.

Had a minor power failure, so i thought something slipped in while I wasn't paying attention (poor radar coverage at the time). Deployed additional defenses to patch up a couple minor gaps that things shouldn't have let enemies through, but decided to be safe. Not sure if this instance was in 0.17.3 or 0.17.4.

Several hours later, I flipped to map view to glance at my defenses to check if there were any places taking damage.... and noticed another swathe of biters in my cleared area.

Unfortunately, I can't get much more specific than that.

Mods: Squeak Through v 1.3.0
Attachments
dimitri 17.2.zip
(11.43 MiB) Downloaded 122 times
factorio-current.log
(26.61 KiB) Downloaded 119 times

jcheung9941
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.17.4] Biters Spawning In Cleared and Secured Areas

Post by jcheung9941 »

was checking in regularly, approximately 2 hours after i cleared it out again... two worms have spawned.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... height=677

E-37
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by E-37 »

I checked it out and you had quite the infestation there. I turret-creeped all the nests and placed down radar inside your whole base. After waiting about 2 hours, several worms had indeed made it inside your walls. I went over all of your walls but there is no clear way that the biters could have broken though to create those worms. I don't think that a swarm could have gotten past your turrets even if they ran straight through them. I attached the save file with the new worms inside your base but all the other nests removed. I am using a couple other mods (including the one you did) so the save file will want them. You can ignore them since I didn't use them.
Attachments
dimitri 17.2.zip
(11.12 MiB) Downloaded 94 times
Good things come in bags marked "SWAG"

jcheung9941
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jcheung9941 »

I think I figured it out. Not sure if intended behavior or not, but I watched some bugs (assuming expansion group) run straight into a bunch of laser fire while I was turret creeping, and emerging out the other side with half dead and the rest injured. Chased them a bit using my guns to try to attract them back, but they moved faster than me. By the time I got to them, they had settled into a new nest, which I promptly blasted.

I was under the impression that any biter groups would be drawn to anything that hurt them, but again, don't know if intended behavior or not, nor do i know if this is for sure how they made it past my (admittedly somewhat lacking) wall.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

There is a difference between attack and expansion groups

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Huh, I don't think that I've seen the expansion groups do that in 0.16? Or is that because they will attack if stopped by walls?
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

CDarklock
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by CDarklock »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:35 pm
Huh, I don't think that I've seen the expansion groups do that in 0.16? Or is that because they will attack if stopped by walls?
I kind of feel like the devs are sitting there waiting for us to figure out all the ways biters are nastier in 0.17

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I have a bad feeling about this...
My usual defence strategy is nests of sniper turrets/laser turrets some distance apart. It seems that some nasty dev disabled the distraction flag on expansion groups :D

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

So you are running into biter bases, or worms or whatever, in an area, walled off, such that there is no way for biters to get in (without an alert) to build a new base?

Why is this marked not a bug?
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:08 pm
So you are running into biter bases, or worms or whatever, in an area, walled off, such that there is no way for biters to get in (without an alert) to build a new base?

It's not walled off from what I understood. It's guarded by row of turrets but no full wall. Usually expansion group would attack turrets on the way - it seems that this is no longer the case and they just run past them.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

orzelek wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:33 pm
Ranakastrasz wrote:

It's not walled off from what I understood. It's guarded by row of turrets but no full wall. Usually expansion group would attack turrets on the way - it seems that this is no longer the case and they just run past them.
Oh. Do the turrets have gaps in the coverage, or are the biters literally running the gauntlet?

Because in the first case, not a bug. Second case, surprising change, but I approve.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:38 pm
orzelek wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:33 pm
Ranakastrasz wrote:

Oh. Do the turrets have gaps in the coverage, or are the biters literally running the gauntlet?

Because in the first case, not a bug. Second case, surprising change, but I approve.
It's not clear from report but mention is that they were hurt after the turret line.. so I think it's the gauntlet. Thats why I'm not a fan maybe... it breaks my usual forts-like defence with sniper turrets.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

orzelek wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:39 pm
It's not clear from report but mention is that they were hurt after the turret line.. so I think it's the gauntlet. Tahts why I'm not a fan maybe... it breaks my usual forts-like defence with sniper turrets.
In all seriousness, if some or many biters, given the opportunity, would run past your turrets, I would think that a good thing. Put a wall up.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

jcheung9941
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jcheung9941 »

Ranakastrasz wrote:

Clearly, someone moved it into not a bug.
No walls, on my to do list but i am highly inefficient... i'm actually surprised nobody had made fun of the base.
I'm guessing that this is as intended then. So sad. Time to double up lasers.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Interesting. Changes my opinion of the biters somewhat. They're not colonizing. A wagon train would try to eliminate the threat so the colony would be safer. They are intentionally infiltrating to set up a base.

They are clearly invading.

jcheung9941
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jcheung9941 »

I mean. We're the invaders. They're just reclaiming their homeland

Return to “Not a bug”