[0.17.0/1/2] ALT view icon disappearance

Bugs that are actually features.
Saintmother
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.17.0/1/2] ALT view icon disappearance

Post by Saintmother »

(repost from viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65227&start=40)
Okay not sure if it's a bug or just a new feature, but it seems that as of 0.17 the "update time" for machines (furnaces, etc.) to display item icons in ALT mode is very long now (up to 1 second) which creates these weird "flashes" whenever new item is created/stacked in the machine. To show what i mean look at these screenshots.

This is how it always should be in ALT view:

But this is how it looks like when that stone furnace creates a new plate - and it stays like that for about a second:

Now I've tested this in 0.16.51 and it seems that although same thing happens there too, the "delay" is almost non-noticable. It's literally in miliseconds and not an issue at all and I've probably not even notice that happening before, cuz its almost instant. But now the "delay" is so long that if you imagine you have a factory with a few hundred machines all having this delay for some reason, it would be very annoying to watch.

Is this intended or is there some option in the menu that let's me "fix" this or is that a known issue that's being worked on? Thanks anyone on answer how to deal with this.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.0/1/2] ALT view icon disappearance

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however this is working correctly. The furnace only shows the icon while it's smelting the ores and the mining drill speed is slower than the furnace speed so there's a time gap between each set of plates it smelts.

That's the same logic as 0.16 and previous - just the mining drill is slightly slower now.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.17.0/1/2] ALT view icon disappearance

Post by Pi-C »

Rseding91 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:10 am
The furnace only shows the icon while it's smelting the ores […]
Not sure if this is related, but I have a number of furnaces with a full output (100 copper plates). Some show the ALT-icon, others not. However, the furnaces have been inactive for quite some time now due to lack of consumption -- it's not that one has been inactive for long while the other has just finished smelting the last plate. See for yourself in the two screenshots, please! The two furnaces in the top left corner (with the cursor hovering over one of them) are the ones I mean.
100 copper plates in output, no ALT-icon
100 copper plates in output, no ALT-icon
no_ALT_icon.png (438.35 KiB) Viewed 781 times
100 copper plates in output, with ALT-icon
100 copper plates in output, with ALT-icon
ALT_icon.png (453.36 KiB) Viewed 781 times
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Return to “Not a bug”