[0.17.1] multisampling-level has no effect

Bugs that are actually features.
Vegemeister
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.17.1] multisampling-level has no effect

Post by Vegemeister »

On 0.16, I could set multisampling-level=1 in config.ini to get nice antialiased sprites at high zoom, like this:
0.16-ms-level-1.png
0.16-ms-level-1.png (666.72 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
But in 0.17.1, this setting does nothing, and it still uses yucky nearest-neighbor:
0.17-ms-level-1.png
0.17-ms-level-1.png (465.03 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
The problem occurs both with the default graphics settings otherwise, and with texture compression set to "none" and the other settings at what I used in 0.16 (high res, VRAM medium, atlas size 4096).

System information: Fedora Linux 29, Nvidia GTX 1050 2 GB, with the proprietary driver version 418.43.

(On a possibly related note, forcing SSAA with the environment variable __GL_FSAA_MODE no longer has the effect it did in 0.16 either. My experience with other applications is that this is related to rendering to FBOs instead directly to the framebuffer.)

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.1] multisampling-level has no effect

Post by posila »

Hello, thanks for the report.

The multisampling option has not been implemented in the new rendering backend.
I'll consider adding option to turn on linear magnification in samplers once experimental build is more stable.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Oh yes please ! :)
I didn't know that option existed, but now that I know, I really hope I'll be able to use it : multisampled screenshot is gorgeous :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Vegemeister
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Vegemeister »

Thank you. Aside from this minor quibble, the new backend is really wonderful. You could almost certainly remove that warning about needing 3 GB of VRAM for high-res sprites.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Koub wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:53 am
multisampled screenshot is gorgeous :)
It's blurry. EDIT: To be fair, it is not so bad with high-res graphics, but some better upscaling algorithm would be better.
Vegemeister wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:03 am
Thank you. Aside from this minor quibble, the new backend is really wonderful. You could almost certainly remove that warning about needing 3 GB of VRAM for high-res sprites.
Thanks. Did you have performance problems in 0.16?

Vegemeister
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Vegemeister »

posila wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:29 am
Thanks. Did you have performance problems in 0.16?
High-res on 2 GB was possible, but it required trying out lots of combinations of settings. What I eventually settled on was "medium" VRAM usage, atlas size 4096, and *not* using low-VRAM mode. My guess is that worked by 1. putting the Nvidia driver in charge of what needed to be in VRAM, and 2. having lots of small atlases so the driver had more granularity to work with and so it wouldn't stall too long moving them in and out of VRAM. The old texture compression actually made it worse, and atlas specialization had either no effect, or a very slight negative effect.

But even after tweaking 0.16 felt like maybe 1-2 skipped frames per second. 0.17.1 seems more like 1 skip in 10 seconds, which to me is completely imperceptible, aside from staring at the FPS counter.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

For 0.17.12 I've added "force-linear-magnification" setting to config.ini

Vegemeister
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Vegemeister »

posila wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:41 am
For 0.17.12 I've added "force-linear-magnification" setting to config.ini
Wow, thanks! I can't stop staring at the assembler animation. With linear upscaling, and essentially zero frame drops, it's so smooth!

On top being able to bind enter/exit vehicle to F again, I think 0.17.12 is my 2nd favorite 0.17 yet (after 0.17.1, of course.)

Return to “Not a bug”