[0.16.51 DEMO] PDB is shipped with the demo executable

Bugs that are actually features.
Raspberry Pi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.16.51 DEMO] PDB is shipped with the demo executable

Post by Raspberry Pi »

I know what you are thinking, this is not a bug. But lets be real, this should be a great concern for every developer. You are giving out the debug symbols for the internal C structure of the program. This includes function names and everything you can imagine that would endanger the integrity of your program from exploits. Even though this is not a bug I'd highly recommend that action is taken upon this as a software developer myself.
REMOVE THE PDB FROM RELEASES!

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.16.51 DEMO] PDB is shipped with the demo executable

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however we intentionally ship the PDB with the game so we can symbolize stack traces in crash reports. We don't care if it allows people to see the internal structure of how the game is built.
  • The game has no DRM so there's no copy protection to crack that a PDB would help with
  • Multiplayer is server authoritive meaning you can't cheat in multiplayer because the server would just mark you as desynced and disconnect you
  • Cheating in single player isn't a concern because we already have a full mod API that allows you to cheat far faster and easier than anything you could make by external program
  • At worse someone could exploit the game to earn steam achievements easier but there are already programs that let you just give yourself steam achievements so again this isn't an issue
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

weaknespase
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.16.51 DEMO] PDB is shipped with the demo executable

Post by weaknespase »

There are a lot of useful Java client programs that come in form that can be decompiled almost to the source code. No harm in providing debug symbols for developers' convenience if they don't consider them trade secret. Don't forget that code is copyrighted, so, technically, you can't legally use it for any purpose not stated in the license, and if anyone tries, Wube can defend their rights in the court.

Factorio is not a system software, doesn't connect to third party software and doesn't control valuable user information, so exploits aren't really that much of an issue here.

Return to “Not a bug”