Underground belt - blueprint - Q button

Bugs that are actually features.
seePyou
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Underground belt - blueprint - Q button

Post by seePyou »

Saving a blueprint with an underground belt that has no match (an exit or an entrance) but is alone, keeps the direction in the blueprint just fine.
The direction of the underground is visible to the player.

However, if the player then mouses over this and presses Q, the underground in his hand is NOT maintained, if the underground in question is an EXIT.

https://imgur.com/a/wJ2h3Up

In this image, the undergrounds with the arrows cannot be placed with the correct orientation when selecting them with the Q button. All others can.

seePyou
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Underground belt - blueprint - Q button

Post by seePyou »

It could be, but may I respectfully disagree that the undergrounds work as intended? I have a design for single belt balancer that is useful for when I have inserters eating from the belt, for example, and the belt keeps on advancing the items on one side of it, with the design I made it now advances the entire belt one item at a time from each side, effectively using both sides of the belt to feed the needed consumption from one side. That requires the underground to be build with a specific orientation which it doesn't when I build it with Q.

https://imgur.com/QBBA47O

That single inserter right after the top splitter is the one that is needed to be an exit.

In essence, build order, as stated, is not intended, as I want the "second" (in order) underground to be built there without a "first" (in order). I need an exit, not an entrance.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Underground belt - blueprint - Q button

Post by posila »

Hello, thanks for the report.
It is not possible to manually build underground belt outputs (exit) directly, outputs are formed automatically when you place underground belt piece that can connect to different input; or you can "rotate" already built input piece to become output. With this information you can workaround the problem you have, but just pressing R after you build the piece that should be output not connected to anything.

If you have an idea how building of underground belts could be done differently to make it possible to choose between input/output, while not making 99% use case more inconvenient (like having to rotate through all output orientations), feel free to create thread in ideas and suggestions subforum.

Return to “Not a bug”