[0.16.36] Deconstruction of whitelisted tiles won't work

Bugs that are actually features.
Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.16.36] Deconstruction of whitelisted tiles won't work

Post by Jon8RFC »

When selecting only concrete on the tiles whitelist, they cannot be selected/marked for deconstruction if anything else is within the selection area.

https://youtu.be/conYPy-CW8c

Chocolatetthunder
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.16.36] Deconstruction of whitelisted tiles won't work

Post by Chocolatetthunder »

This is intentional so you don't decom the floor if you don't want to.
3Ra Gaming Owner
join us on discord @ http://www.3RaGaming.com/discord

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jon8RFC »

Unless I'm missing something here, because I have them whitelisted, it should work, right? It seems like the tile whitelist won't override the default behavior, which I think is what you're referring to.

Also, because they're whitelisted, it shouldn't be able to select anything except for the items which are whitelisted.

EDIT: Not a bug...just confusing.

I had to tinker with the drop down menu because I expected it to work like the other whitelist.
It's pretty confusing though, even after reading through the tooltip, because as best I can tell, the normal setting has no effect. A deconstruction planner functions the same whether tiles are whitelisted or not, if it's set to normal.

The others don't seem easy to understand either. I'm certain people understand it once they play with it, so it's more of a tribal knowledge thing...on my very first time using this functionality, it's not easy to figure out what each option means.

Apparently, the "Only" setting is what I needed to pick, and leave the trees/rocks alone. When I skimmed through the tooltip, because the tiles were near trees/rocks, I completely ignored the Only option because it was at the bottom and not the default, and I started messing with the trees/rocks blacklist, which was misleading and confusing.

The tooltip (again, because I was near trees and rocks) had me even more confused once I messed around with it. I spent about 10 minutes before I posted the report, and even checked the wiki. I spent another 3-4 minutes, after the report, messing with the drop down menu and focusing on normal/always and messing with the trees/rocks.

The best idea I have is to get rid of Normal, if it doesn't serve a purpose, and set Only as the default, so that the whitelist functions like the other whitelist. Make it default to being simplified, to work like an intuitive whitelist, and have the "you need to read this to understand it" options not be the defaults.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Yea, it is kind of counterintuitive. Blueprints have checkboxes to include or exclude entities, tiles and/or modules. Not sure why the deconstructor uses a completely different method to achieve the same selection.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Aeternus wrote:Yea, it is kind of counterintuitive. Blueprints have checkboxes to include or exclude entities, tiles and/or modules. Not sure why the deconstructor uses a completely different method to achieve the same selection.
Because they're 2 completely different tools/mechanics.

Deconstructing has nothing to do with blueprints and the blueprint system.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Visually they look similar, and both of them use the construction bots to execute their tasks, and they are created from the same GUI menu. They may be completely separate under the hood, but to the average player (like myself) they look facets of the same system.

Return to “Not a bug”