[0.10.12] Generators Destroy Max Temperature Fluids.

Bugs that are actually features.
ludsoe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.10.12] Generators Destroy Max Temperature Fluids.

Post by ludsoe »

Generators are hard coded to destroy any fluid that wasn't heated by a boiler.

The fluid below gets destroyed regardless of its Temperature being default to max.
Fluid
Also why are you tracking how much a fluid was heated, Instead of using the temperature ratios? In-fact you don't even use the temperature except for controlling how much boilers can add to the energy output in the end.

EDIT: Any by Temperature ratio i mean the current temperature from between max and 0.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.10.12] Generators Destroy Max Temperature Fluids.

Post by kovarex »

Hello, I don't see where the bug is
ludsoe wrote: Also why are you tracking how much a fluid was heated, Instead of using the temperature ratios? In-fact you don't even use the temperature except for controlling how much boilers can add to the energy output in the end.

EDIT: Any by Temperature ratio i mean the current temperature from between max and 0.
I don't understand it.

ludsoe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ludsoe »

I assumed generators produced energy based on the temperature of the fluid flowing through them.

Lets say I have a fluid with its default temperature at its maximum temperature, It produces absolutely no energy at all as boilers won't heat it. Even though it should be producing energy due to its temperature, being exactly at the maximum. In-fact it should be producing 100% efficiency, instead of just being destroyed as no boiler "heated" it.

Now lets say i have a fluid with a maximum temperature 1 degree above its default, Boilers heat it to its maximum temperature but it only produces 10% of the energy say water gets with the same boiler setup. Also I haven't tested this but based on my previous tests I'm going to assume that if I make a fluid with a insanely high max temperature and heat it using boilers, that I'll get more than 100% efficiency.

Maybe its just my fault for assuming the energy output of generators being based on the temperature of a fluid, and not how much time it was heated in a boiler.

AKA
Temp 150 w/ 0 boilers < Temp 100 w/ 11 boilers

rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by rk84 »

Energy of the fluid also depend on heat capacity of the fluid.
Max energy of fluid:

Code: Select all

(max_temperature - default_temperature) * heat_capacity
Max power of generator:

Code: Select all

(max_temperature - default_temperature) * heat_capacity * effectivity * fluid_usage_per_tick * 60
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]Fluid handling expansion
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express
Autofill: The torch has been pass to Nexela

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

makes sense.
If your liquid has a default temperature of 200, then the engine can't cool it any furhter and thus extracts no energy.
(Yeah, not how temperature usually works. I guess the default-temp is there just for the dev's convenience,
allowing different temperature units to be used or so..)

ludsoe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ludsoe »

Well I guess it works as it should, kinda ruins my plans as i wanted a fluid that was already at its max temperature so you just had to pipe it to steam engines and it worked.

Time to go bump that suggestion dytech made a while back about controlling fluid temperatures with recipes.

Return to “Not a bug”