joshinils
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.16.22] trees decay only on a chunk by chunk basis

Post by joshinils »

I was walking around and noticed a sharp border of decayed trees:

Intrigued by what may have caused this i enabled the Chunk grid:

And looked at my minimap for the amount of pollution there:

I suspect th e decay of trees via pollution gets only calculated depending on the chunks pollution-value.
I think these sharp borders in the trees decay level is not pleasant and I would like it not to be there.

The amount the tree gets damaged by could be interpolated based on the trees position in its chunk and the neighbouring chunks pollution value (maybe cornering ones too).
The calculated damage could then be applied and removed from the chunk (if it has that much pollution -> negative amounts?), thus meaning the trees on a neighbouring chunk with high pollution would also suffer from it before it spread there.

The same could be applied to the minimap if one zooms in far enough for it to be worth it, just so it looks nicer.

E-37
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.16.22] trees decay only on a chunk by chunk basis

Post by E-37 »

I believe (and I could be wrong) that pollution is constant throughout a chunk. My guess is that the trees in the decayed chunk slowed the pollution down from reaching a level that would cause the healthy chunk to decay. Also, the healthy chunk has many more trees which could absorb more pollution meaning that it takes much more smog to reach that threshold than less forested areas.
Good things come in bags marked "SWAG"

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.16.22] trees decay only on a chunk by chunk basis

Post by Rseding91 »

E-37 wrote:I believe (and I could be wrong) that pollution is constant throughout a chunk. My guess is that the trees in the decayed chunk slowed the pollution down from reaching a level that would cause the healthy chunk to decay. Also, the healthy chunk has many more trees which could absorb more pollution meaning that it takes much more smog to reach that threshold than less forested areas.
Correct.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Not a bug”