[16.12] Train preview when color editing not symbolized when outside radar range

Bugs that are actually features.
XeroXion
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[16.12] Train preview when color editing not symbolized when outside radar range

Post by XeroXion »

Noticed on vanilla multiplayer, as non-host. My apologies for lack of screenshots, save or log file as this multiplayer game with family has been my only play time in 0.16.9 to reach train tech.

Steps followed to reproduce in-game:
-Select a train outside of active map view, as if editing the train route.
-Fog of war will only allow/show map iconography in the preview pane.
-Switch to locomotive color editing, then zoom out et voila, an active render preview outside of radar or view range.
-Active view persists in preview pane until train window is closed and re-opened.

Expected behavior:
Train preview shows only a rendered representation of locomotive color without map details (at current locomotive orientation? slowly rotating?) then reverts to fog-of-war render outside of coloring tab.

Jelmergu
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.16.9] Train preview can pierce fog-of-war

Post by Jelmergu »

I think I know what you mean, wich is a feature added in version 0.13.0 and not actually a bug.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [16.12] Train preview when color editing not symbolized when outside radar range

Post by Loewchen »

I can reproduce this in 16.12, but it might be intended to see the colour of the train better.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [16.12] Train preview when color editing not symbolized when outside radar range

Post by Twinsen »

It is intended to see the train color and train context, but as a side effect it's often used as radar or security camera. Not sure if this should be changed/fixed.

I would simply limit the maximum zoom out a bit since it's so big at the moment it even causes frame-rate drops on some systems.

Dominik
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Dominik »

Yes, being able to see the train color is quite practical and it is intentional. In theory it could occlude the terrain around the train outside of vision, but I don't think there is much gain in that.

Return to “Not a bug”