Useless non-reproducible bug-report: pole ghost right-click

Bugs that are actually features.
golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Useless non-reproducible bug-report: pole ghost right-click

Post by golfmiketango »

Unless the UI changed and I missed it, my understanding is that if I touch a ghost with the right mouse button, the ghost should disappear and the corresponding construction order should be cancelled. In 0.16.7 (linux), although this sort-of works, it only works if I explicitly right-click the ghost hit-box. If I am holding the right mouse button down, and drag the mouse past a ghost hit-box, the ghost and, I assume the corresponding construction order, remain.

Edit: Just noticed this bug (maybe) only pertains to power poles! Assumed it was everything, but at least for belts, right clicking works as normal. Hmm, no, just tested and that hypothesis is also wrong. Maybe only medium electric power poles placed by blueprint?......

Oops, can no longer repro, sorry! Weird. Well I'll keep my eyes open, hopefully this was just a brain fart or pebkac or something (application focus issue?). Anyhow, next time I see it, if there is a next time, I'll preserve a save or make a movie if it doesn't persist through saves; otherwise, I guess, please disregard, sorry for the noise.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

2nd try at bug report about ghost cancellation click issue

Post by golfmiketango »

OK I think I figured this out (I tried to report this before but got stumped as to how to reproduce it and gave up).

When I right-click-and-hold-the-right-mouse-button-down to deconstruct things, most of the time it works normally, unless I begin my right-click by deconstructing a non-ghost entity.

So, lets say I have an iron chest, and the ghost of a wooden chest, right next to each other. If I right-click on the iron chest, and hold the right mouse button down continuously until the iron chest is deconstructed manually, then, if I continue holding the right mouse button down and move it over the ghost of the wooden chest, it is not deconstructed.

But, if I have the ghost of a steel chest, an iron chest, and the ghost of a wooden chest all in a row, and right-click on the ghost of the steel chest (it gets cancelled immediately), and then move the mouse over the iron chest and wait until it is deconstructed, and then, still holding the mouse button down, move the mouse over the wooden chest as before, it is deconstructed. No way that's the intended behavior; something broke.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Useless non-reproducible bug-report: pole ghost right-click

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into the first bug report, and moved back th "Bug Reports".
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Thanks for the report.
This is intended behavior (introduced in one of the 0.16 updates, but I couldn't find it in changelog), if you start mining something that is not ghost, it is assumed you did not intended to remove ghosts. For example if you force place blueprint that you want to build by hand, and some trees are marked for decostruction, mining those trees would remove also ghosts under them.

Similar logic is applied for mining player entitites and resources, trains and rails.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Any chance you could add equivalent functionality for bots? If I start mining a belt/assembler etc, and a bot flies by, I'd rather not pickup the bot.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

OK, well I realize now I'm sort-of hijacking my own bug thread for a feature request but I really think someone had a brain fart here and dyslexified this feature.

Instead of it being hard to accidentally deconstruct ghosts, shouldn't it be hard to accidentally deconstruct non-ghosts? To achieve that, instead of the rule "only deconstruct non-ghosts if the user started by deconstructing a non-ghost" shouldn't it have been "only deconstruct ghosts if the user started by deconstructing a ghost"? Or we could go fully symmetric, that would make sense too: "only deconstruct ghosts or non-ghosts, but never both, in a single mouse gesture." Or maybe I'm just not used to it and you should ignore me. But it sure seems wierd.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Most entities take time to mine, so you aren't likely to mine them by mistake. Ghosts mine instantaneously, and often have trees in the same tile that you want to mine. So you are very likely to mine the ghosts whilst clearing trees before being able to manually build something.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

Zavian wrote:Most entities take time to mine, so you aren't likely to mine them by mistake. Ghosts mine instantaneously, and often have trees in the same tile that you want to mine. So you are very likely to mine the ghosts whilst clearing trees before being able to manually build something.
I do know what you mean, it's pretty easy to make mistakes this way. I guess in time I'll get used to this. A deconstruction planner book would help but... that's also a feature request :P

Return to “Not a bug”