[16.1] Map Preview not showing resources or biters with RSO

Bugs that are actually features.
Aflixion
Inserter
Inserter

[16.1] Map Preview not showing resources or biters with RSO

Post by Aflixion »

Screenshots below. Map preview does not show resources or biters if RSO is enabled. Toggled RSO off and selected the same settings for map generation and the preview showed resources and biters.

RSO is the only mod I used for this test.

With RSO:

Without RSO (completely vanilla):

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [16.1] Map Preview not showing resources or biters with RSO

Post by Klonan »

Well the RSO script won't run outside of the game,
And we didn't really intend it to

So this isn't a bug, and/or we won't fix it

Aflixion
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Aflixion »

That's disappointing. This means the feature is completely unusable if you prefer RSO resource generation :(

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Aflixion wrote:That's disappointing. This means the feature is completely unusable if you prefer RSO resource generation :(
Yep.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

So... how does the game know not to render the default resource locations if it's not running the RSO script?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

sparr wrote:So... how does the game know not to render the default resource locations if it's not running the RSO script?
It changes the autoplace or something

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

So RSO's data stage stuff is applied, but not control stage stuff?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

sparr wrote:So RSO's data stage stuff is applied, but not control stage stuff?
Yes

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

This prompts me to go confirm that my World Mirror mod is also not accurately represented in the map preview.

I am sad that chunk generation mod code isn't run as part of the preview :(

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

sparr wrote:This prompts me to go confirm that my World Mirror mod is also not accurately represented in the map preview.

I am sad that chunk generation mod code isn't run as part of the preview :(
It's a preview. Why would runtime lua scripting that is associated with a specific game be executed in a preview? It doesn't even run the full normal game code.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

Rseding91 wrote:Why would runtime lua scripting that is associated with a specific game be executed in a preview?
All the same reasons the preview exists in the first place. Players want to see where water, desert, resources biters, etc are, and reject maps more quickly than doing repeated Restarts.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Rseding91 wrote:Why would runtime lua scripting that is associated with a specific game be executed in a preview?
Because the runtime lua scripting affects the map, and a preview of that map is not just inaccurate but useless without it.

I understand if you don't want to do it for any reason. It's not your job to make modders' lives better, it's to make the best vanilla game you can. But you did ask for a reason. :D

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

5thHorseman wrote:
Because the runtime lua scripting affects the map, and a preview of that map is not just inaccurate but useless without it.

I understand if you don't want to do it for any reason. It's not your job to make modders' lives better, it's to make the best vanilla game you can. But you did ask for a reason. :D
In this case, the modder/mod should leverage the existing (and new) features we provide to fulfil the goal of the mod.

The mod wants to overhaul the map generation, but does so by completely ignoring all the in-game functionality for map generation, and doing its own thing with Lua scripting,
There are many many ways, even moreso in 0.16 (Programmable noise) to accomplish the things RSO sets out to do

In this case if you want this problem to be fixed (Preview not working with RSO), then contact the mod author and ask them to implement their mod in a way that is compatible with the map preview feature.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Klonan wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:

In this case, the modder/mod should leverage the existing (and new) features we provide to fulfil the goal of the mod.

The mod wants to overhaul the map generation, but does so by completely ignoring all the in-game functionality for map generation, and doing its own thing with Lua scripting,
There are many many ways, even moreso in 0.16 (Programmable noise) to accomplish the things RSO sets out to do

In this case if you want this problem to be fixed (Preview not working with RSO), then contact the mod author and ask them to implement their mod in a way that is compatible with the map preview feature.
There is no way to recreate what RSO does with anything that base game offers. Thats why it's completely different and it won't appear on map previews. It might not be 100% user friendly but preview simply won't work with RSO.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

With RSO i don't need a preview because i know it works.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Klonan wrote: There are many many ways, even moreso in 0.16 (Programmable noise) to accomplish the things RSO sets out to do
RSO resource generation isn't random noise. That's the whole point and is what makes it so good
steinio wrote: With RSO i don't need a preview because i know it works.
Yeah, you get guaranteed resources in the starting area. There is still some variation with it, but it's almost always something you can work with

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Agreed, it doesn't matter much that you can't see a preview with RSO, because it works so well. At the moment it's not worth playing Factorio without RSO.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

steinio wrote:With RSO i don't need a preview because i know it works.
While true, it'd be nice to get quick feedback on changes to settings to know that your particular settings work for the setup you're trying to generate.

shadoworld56
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by shadoworld56 »

I would like to see RSO generated resources show up in the map preview. Its nice to see how big the resource piles are for each map and being able to fine tune it without having to deal with the long restart times.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

@Klonan/Rsed:
How feasible would something like a "full preview" button be? I.e. you press the button and the game internally generates an actual map instance where mod code can run, then generate a pictures of that. It'd probably take 5 mins to generate, but some people might still prefer that to nothing.

Return to “Not a bug”