[0.15.x] Symantec AV blocking game (steam & .zip standalone)

Bugs that are actually features.
ChevRonBurgandy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.15.x] Symantec AV blocking game (steam & .zip standalone)

Post by ChevRonBurgandy »

Re-posting this for visibility. Originally in viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44699, however that post was marked as 'resolved' and this still seems to be a large problem effecting any steam install.

purdueme91 wrote:Edit 3: The standalone version from factorio website fixed the issue. So anyone else having the issue specifically with it not launching through Steam can follow the steps on the download screen to link your steam account to factorio and download a standalone version.
So I continue to have this problem in 0.15.30 and Symantec Endpoint anti-virus. The errors occurs for both the stand alone .zip as well as the steam version of the game, the msi does work even though it still throws an error (detailed results below). I would tend to agree with you that this is not a long term solution - I fear 0.15 launching to steam and a large number of users having this problem. Is there a way to reassign this bug to open items?

0.14.23 - (steam and standalone .zip & .msi launch)
0.15.30 - (steam and standalone .zip DO NOT launch)
0.15.30 - (standalone .msi installer antivirus alert pops up, however, install finishes and the game launches)

ChevRonBurgandy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.15.x] Symantec AV blocking game (steam & .zip standalone)

Some weird additional info. Since my last post the .msi installer has also stopped working and is being blocked. It only worked the first time that the game launched (directly from the install process)

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

Please upload the files to https://virustotal.com/ and link back to the analysis.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

i suggest you contact your antivirus provider so they can take care of these false positive reports.

ChevRonBurgandy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

TruePikachu wrote:Please upload the files to https://virustotal.com/ and link back to the analysis.
sure thing, all set. (https://virustotal.com/en/file/ddb4b20a ... 500217713/)
impetus maximus wrote:i suggest you contact your antivirus provider so they can take care of these false positive reports.
will do - however it seems like this is effecting multiple AV providers - still seems like something that broke from 0.14 -> 0.15 and can be rectified by the dev's before launching 0.15 to steam as stable.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however we've changed nothing in the game that would trigger such false positives.

You'll need to contact what ever AV software you use to get them to sort it out on their end.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

Additionally, since none of the AVs on VirusTotal even found anything, this is a false positive on your local install.

ihop2100
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ihop2100 »

The devs could try to add it to Symantec whitelist.

Return to “Not a bug”