[0.15.13] [kovarex] Can only open chests from map with bullets in hand

Bugs that are actually features.
Avacado
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.15.13] [kovarex] Can only open chests from map with bullets in hand

Post by Avacado »

You can now do a lot from map view, but one thing you CAN'T do is open chests or open assembly tables from the map view.... UNLESS you have red bullets in your hand (I tried a scattering of other items, but they didn't work).

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.15.13] Can only open chests from map with bullets in hand

Post by Rseding91 »

I can't reproduce. Are you sure you're not opening a machine that's next to your character while in the zoomed-to-map view?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

IV 
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.15.13] Can only open chests from map with bullets in hand

Post by IV  »

The chest has to be in your physical reach. To reproduce:

1. place a chest next to yourself
2. go to map view (press m)
3. Narcissistically zoom in on yourself.
4. Make sure you're not holding anything
5. Press (left mouse button) the chest (it should have a yellow frame when your mouse hovers over it).
6. Nothing happens.
7. Take any item you can not physically build or place from your toolbelt, like bullets, iron gear or coal.
8. Press the chest.
9. You now see the content of the chest.

In step 6, you enter the 'drag map by moving your mouse around mode', in step 8 you don't, not even if you click somewhere else.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.15.13] [kovarex] Can only open chests from map with bullets in hand

Post by kovarex »

If you have something in the cursor (blueprint or deconstruction planner), the dragging is disabled so you can select anything, or use other action that would be otherwise selected to the same control as the dragging.
If you have nothing in the cursor, you drag the map with that button.
If you use right button to open things like I do, you don't even care about this problem.

I consider it to be not a bug.

Avacado
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.15.13] [kovarex] Can only open chests from map with bullets in hand

Post by Avacado »

The reason why this came up is I'm using the Long Reach mod. So I can use chests across the map but only from map view (chests outside the range that can be seen without map view). Since the chests can't be opened (until I discovered the bullet in hand trick) I was only able to interact with them using ctrl+clicking, so I could only place one stack at a time or take all the contents and wasn't able to interact with assembly tables.

By calling this "not a bug" it'll mean I'll have to grab bullets anytime I want to open a chest or an assembly table from across the map, which is a weird thing to make me do, though admittedly this wouldn't be an issue if I was playing vanella. Changing my open button to a different mouse button is a better solution though than grabbing bullets (actually I never even use the drag map feature, I just use WASD, so I can just change the drag map feature to a weird mouse button I never use).

In the zoomed out map view you have different behaviors for clicking (new tag) versus dragging. So I guess I was hoping you could make that same distinction for zoomed in map view where clicking is interact, since a click without dragging (the same kind of click that would start a new tag) on zoomed in map view doesn't currently do anything.

But you've at least given me a solution that doesn't require me to pick up bullets, so I understand if the scope of this issue is too small for the amount of effort involved.

Return to “Not a bug”