[0.10.3] Gun turrets can be placed too close together

Bugs that are actually features.
Malicus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.10.3] Gun turrets can be placed too close together

Post by Malicus »

Even though it looks like I can't place gun turrets right next to each other horizontally, the game will allow it.

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.10.3] Gun turrets can be placed too close together

Post by Rahjital »

Gun turrets can take 2x1 tile space, so you are correctly allowed to place them next to each other. It's the placement indicator that is red when it should be green.

This only affects gun turrets facing west or east, if I remember correctly. The placement indicator seems to think the turret is 2 tiles wide and 1 tile high in these cases while in reality the turrets are always 2 tiles high.

Malicus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Malicus »

They look so cramped like that that being able to place them like that at all seemed more likely to be the bug to me, especially compared to how they can be placed vertically.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Rahjital is right, not a bug. They do look kind of cramped though :|

arl85
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by arl85 »

Rahjital wrote:It's the placement indicator that is red when it should be green.
if it's red it IS a bug, for me.

edit: maybe the "placement indicator" color depends on bounding boxes?

edit 2: now I've checked and the "red placement indicator" problem seems to happen only for gun turrets, and not for laser turrets.
Further, it only happens when turret is E-W oriented: if you rotate it N-S then indicator is green as usual.
Do you need help taking screenshots in-game? have a look to my guide to calculate screenshot dimensions

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

It is indeed a bug, but a different one than you described. ;)

Laser turrets work because they are 1x1 tiles in size. Gun turrets are, as I already said, always 1x2 tiles in size, but the placement indicator thinks they are 2x1 when they are rotated east or west, causing this bug.

There's also another bug/missing feature with turrets: they cannot be rotated by pressing R when an already placed turret is hovered over by mouse.

arl85
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by arl85 »

Do you think is worth opening a new bug report about it, in order to have more visibility?
Do you need help taking screenshots in-game? have a look to my guide to calculate screenshot dimensions

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

Definitely, the devs probably won't check for bugs in this subforum.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Rahjital wrote:There's also another bug/missing feature with turrets: they cannot be rotated by pressing R when an already placed turret is hovered over by mouse.
This is bothering me ever since I'm playing Factorio... I still think if I press R just hard enough it will rotate... but nope. :P xD

Basically it makes the defense look stupid when you place the Gun Turrets along a N/S oriented wall. You can literally place 2 Inserters behind each Gun Turret... which has its advantages, especial lategame when the Big Biters burn through the 10 clip storages in no time. That way you can have 2 fast inserters nuking a gun turret with ammo when you don't have the inserter stack size bonus...

But the same doesn't hold true then when using them in E/W orientation. There you have only 1 inserter or you sacrifice Turret density.

So no matter what... the Gun Turrets should be truly rotateable in the desired direction so to make it more space efficient for various setups.

Return to “Not a bug”