[0.15.6] Huge frame drops for no apparent reason

Bugs that are actually features.
Ubertwink
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.15.6] Huge frame drops for no apparent reason

Post by Ubertwink »

We are playing on Arumba's railworld server. The factory is quite big already, so the game has to be slowed down and we are running at 30 UPS/FPS right now. However, occasionally, intense lag-o-drome storms us, reducing players' FPS down to 2.6-2.7 (while keeping the UPS at 30). During this time, we are unable to move on interact with anything, can't open/close GUI, etc. The time usage debug looks like this:
I'd like to help debugging this problem, as this is certainly not a GPU bottleneck.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.15.6] Huge frame drops for no apparent reason

Post by Rseding91 »

FPS dropping to 5 while UPS stays up indicates the game is in "catch up" mode - indicating you can't keep up with the server.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Ubertwink
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ubertwink »

How can I track down the reason? The CPU core that's used by Factorio is far from full load and the network is 100Mb/s. Map download speed is about 5-6 MB/s.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Ubertwink wrote:How can I track down the reason? The CPU core that's used by Factorio is far from full load and the network is 100Mb/s. Map download speed is about 5-6 MB/s.
CPU usage doesn't mean much unless you only have 1 core in your computer. Factorio runs the main logic on 1 thread so the single threaded speed of your CPU is what determines if it can keep up with the server.

There's nothing to "track down" - simply your computer can't keep up with the server because it's not fast enough.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Ubertwink
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ubertwink »

That's right, I see that one of the cores is more loaded than the others. But still, it's far from being fully loaded.
Core clock is above 4 GHz.

Ubertwink
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ubertwink »

Rseding91 wrote:There's nothing to "track down" - simply your computer can't keep up with the server because it's not fast enough.
That's it - can you guys please help me to find the weak spot since there is no obvious bottleneck in the system?

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

OP, If a single thread was running 100% of the time but the OS skittered it around among all the different cores every few milliseconds, what would that look like on your GUI monitor?

Return to “Not a bug”