[0.15.5] Blueprint name isn't saved on "create blueprint"

Bugs that are actually features.
Progman
Inserter
Inserter

[0.15.5] Blueprint name isn't saved on "create blueprint"

Post by Progman »

When you create a new blueprint you can change the name in the top left. However when you press the green check mark icon "create blueprint" while changing the blueprint name, the changed name doesn't get saved prior of creating the blueprint. It should save the blueprint name on "create blueprint" without pressing on "save label" first.

Reproduce:
* Create new empty blueprint
* Use empty blueprint to create a new blueprint (blueprint GUI will appear)
* Click on "Edit label"
* Enter a name for the blueprint
* Click on "Create blueprint" (do not click on "save label")

Now you have an unnamed blueprint even though you have entered a name.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.15.5] Blueprint name isn't saved on "create blueprint"

Post by Rseding91 »

If you don't click save then the name isn't saved - that's why it's an edit -> save system.

It works that way in the "edit blueprint" GUI after you've set it up as well.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

kosievdmerwe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kosievdmerwe »

I disagree that this isn't a bug, it certainly tripped me up a time or two. Every other field in the blueprint appears to get saved by just editing them and clicking on the green tick. Therefore the behavior of the label (the fact that you have to click the pencil again) was shocking. And so labeling this as not a bug stands a bit contrary to the goal of making the UI more intuitive (which was mentioned in a friday fact or two).

Proposed solutions:
1. Change the "confirm" pencil to a tick (or overlay the pencil with a tick), to show people that the pencil icon does the saving of the name.
2. Make the current tick save the edited (but unconfirmed) name.

nljr
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nljr »

Thank you for this bug report. It was the only way I found out why I couldn't change the name on a blueprint. Very much a UI flaw.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

If anything, there should be some visual indication that you didn't save it. Greyed out text or something. Or have the "edit box" be a label that you have to click to edit, then it turns into an edit box while you're editing, and turns back to a label.

Having the unsaved name and the saved name look exactly alike is the problem, really.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

5thHorseman wrote:Or have the "edit box" be a label that you have to click to edit, then it turns into an edit box while you're editing, and turns back to a label.
That's literally how it works. You click the edit button and the label becomes a text box you can edit then you click the save button next to the text box and it saves the new name.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

Although I understand why it works this way completely, I still make this is mistake. Over, and over. Can't seem to learn my lesson.

I think the reason is that I am already looking at a dialog box with a "save/cancel changes" feature, and you've nested another save/cancel transaction within that dialog. That's not how anything works for end-users in 2017.

My advice: just make it autosave unless they press "escape."

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

I have to agree. I also keep making this mistake, even though I know how it works. When you save the blueprint it should also save the edited name. There is no need for a separate save name button. I cannot think of a use case where you would want the behaviour of needing to save the edited name separately.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Rseding91 wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:Or have the "edit box" be a label that you have to click to edit, then it turns into an edit box while you're editing, and turns back to a label.
That's literally how it works. You click the edit button and the label becomes a text box you can edit then you click the save button next to the text box and it saves the new name.
Haha then I rescind that, as it's obviously not enough and I didn't even notice it.

(that's what I get for posting after not playing for a week)

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Btw, you can also just press enter/return after typing the new name.

That said i also forget to confirm the name editing 1 out of 4 times, mostly after c/p'ing something into the field. So i'm kinda in favor of auto-saving it without confirmation. And i don't think anybody regularly edits the name and then wants to discard the change by pressing "save", if they wanted to discard they'd probably click "cancel".
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

This keeps tripping me up as well. There is no reason at all to have two "save" buttons there.

mbernardi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mbernardi »

Just wanted to say that I forget to save the name change more than half the time. Normally I have to take the blueprint out of the book just to rename it.

rkapl
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by rkapl »

Serenity wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:37 pm
This keeps tripping me up as well. There is no reason at all to have two "save" buttons there.
I absolutely second that. I am just trying 0.17 and it got me again.

Return to “Not a bug”