[0.15] Very low graphic performance

Bugs that are actually features.
buzzer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.15] Very low graphic performance

Post by buzzer »

Since the update to 0.15 I've been experiencing graphical issues. (Yes, I have followed the graphical problems post from the devs pinned in the announcements)

I'm playing on a 2010 Macbook Pro (2.4GHz processor, 4 Gb RAM, 256 mb graphic card), and I could always play 0.14 with 60/60 fps/ups (unless factories got real big), when settings were put on 'low", so no problems there.

Since the release of 0.15, I have to resort to playing on "very low" graphical settings, or the game will grind to a hold. I've tried playing my own single player factories on "low" graphical settings, but the fps/ups drop to about 3 fps/60ups, even when I'm standing still, changing settings to "very low" makes it playable again. Even when starting with a completely new map, the game loads with very low fps performance.

Funny thing is that when I zoom all the way in, and when there are no other buildings or trees around, the game ramps up to 60/60 very quickly, but as soon as I get to some assembly machines, a tree, or even when I hover a single blue belt on screen (with my cursor), the frame rate drops again.

This seems pretty strange to me, since I do not select the new high-resolution sprites, and performance should thus be the same, if I'm not mistaken.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.15] Very low graphic performance

Post by orzelek »

Two things:
1. I believe your are running below minimum requirements I think - 512MB of VRAM is the required value at least listed on Steam.
2. With 0.15 there are new entities added so even normal settings of sprites might use more memory then it did before.

You could try to prod texture compression option and see if it helps. I don't know if there is a way to check VRAM stats on Mac's to validate anything.

What you are seeing is a result of textures being swapped between RAM and VRAM - so really zoomed in without anything animating around and you can fit in VRAM but animations are bigger and texture swapping begins.
You could try to use the max texture size option to bring it down - it's possible that with smaller textures this effect would be less severe. It's a speculation tho.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.15] Very low graphic performance

Post by Rseding91 »

orzelek wrote:Two things:
1. I believe your are running below minimum requirements I think - 512MB of VRAM is the required value at least listed on Steam.
2. With 0.15 there are new entities added so even normal settings of sprites might use more memory then it did before.

You could try to prod texture compression option and see if it helps. I don't know if there is a way to check VRAM stats on Mac's to validate anything.

What you are seeing is a result of textures being swapped between RAM and VRAM - so really zoomed in without anything animating around and you can fit in VRAM but animations are bigger and texture swapping begins.
You could try to use the max texture size option to bring it down - it's possible that with smaller textures this effect would be less severe. It's a speculation tho.
You're correct.

That computer is well below the minimum requirements for 0.14. 0.15 increased the requirements slightly and the result is you can't play the game even on the lowest settings. You'll need to upgrade your computer (probably replace it) if you want to continue playing in 0.15 without the lower performance.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Not a bug”