[0.15.3] Wall sections don't render on the minimap

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
noc
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.15.3] Wall sections don't render on the minimap

Post by noc »

When building the first perimeter wall around my base in my first 0.15 playthrough I noticed that it wasn't visible on the minimap. After I expanded to start the foundation of a train station, I noticed that while the wall of the station is visible, the original wall is not.
Last edited by noc on Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.15.3] Wall sections don't render on the minimap

Post by Rseding91 »

The minimap is that - a mini version of the map. Some detail is lost in the shrinking process.

If you turn the GUI scale up you can see they do eventually show up.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

noc
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by noc »

Rseding91 wrote:The minimap is that - a mini version of the map. Some detail is lost in the shrinking process.

If you turn the GUI scale up you can see they do eventually show up.
Yeah that works. Though in my opinion this is a bit counter-intuitive, I'd expect the walls especially to be shown since they usually mark the perimeter of the base where most attacks are caught.

But if the game is doing a straight downscale from the map render I'd assume this would be hard to do since it would complicate the code too much.

Thanks anyway!

Cutemine
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Cutemine »

While I understand the issue at it's core and agree that you certainly can't show everything 100% correct or in a meaningful way on the minimap, I don't get why it is sometimes inconsistens in it self.
See for example the attached Screenshot:
Unbenannt.png
Unbenannt.png (484.52 KiB) Viewed 2258 times
The wall Marked with a blue arrow on the left ist exactly the same as on the right, both are two tiles wide stone walls. However the one on the right does not show up at all, which can be confusing at times. I would understand flickering while moving or effects like that but it's just always not shown.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

Cutemine wrote:The wall Marked with a blue arrow on the left ist exactly the same as on the right......
The wall on the left has turrets on the right, the wall on the right has turrets on the left.

The draw order/position thereof is causing the difference on the right. (If you were to remove turrets from both the left & right walls I'd bet the minimap would draw them exactly the same.)

PS: Biters can attack turrets from two tiles away so you inner wall isn't going to be very effective. It's much better to put turrets 1 tile away from your walls.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Factorie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factorie »

I have found the map to be pretty inconsistent. That said its still a good overview of everything and has its uses

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Bumping for a request :
Wouldn't slightly changing the default minimap zoom level solve these issues?
(Or would it cause others?)

Otherwise, how can we change the minimap zoom level and/or resize its "window" ? (without changing overall GUI scale)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

It has been somewhat improved for 1.1

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”