[0.15.1] no ability to disable mods not used by save

Bugs that are actually features.
factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.15.1] no ability to disable mods not used by save

Post by factoriouzr »

I noticed the nice feature to enable mods used by a given save file, but we also need a button to disable mods not used in the given save. This would allow for playing different games with different mod settings and would be especially useful for playing different saves with different people.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.15.1] no ability to disable mods not used by save

Post by Rseding91 »

That already exists. Un-check the "keep enabled" option.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

Rseding91 wrote:That already exists. Un-check the "keep enabled" option.
Where is that checkbox because I can't even press the button (it's grayed out) if all the mods are already enabled that are needed for the save but there are new ones that I want disabled.

It sounds like the bug might be that the button is only enabled when mods have to be enabled, not when they can be disabled as well.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

I was also wondering where that option was because I remember discussing the ability to disable mods as well with the developers and we were both on the same page as having the disable option be selectable by the user to allow them to enable new mods in their current games as well as disable mods.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

So where is this checkbox?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

The sync button was never designed to disable mods. It's built around enabling mods that the save file uses. You can disable mods through the mods GUI if you don't want them enabled.

Feel free to make a suggestion in ideas and suggestions to add the ability to downgrade the active mods to what a given save uses but for now this is not a bug.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

Rseding91 wrote:I personally don't see the point in disabling mods through that button instead of just using the "mods" button but if you want to be able to do it through their as well then I can enable the button at all times.
Please enable the button at all times. I play multiple games (eg single player and with friends). I enable mods in single player that I want disabled in multiplayer. To me if the the button doesn't give me the option to disable mods, then it's only half of the functionality to make the mods match the save game.

It's really convenient to have the option to sync the enabled mods to the save. This requires both enabling mods and disabling mods. It's incomplete without both options. Of course disabling mods should prompt the user (or be an always visible optional button) so that the user can decide if they meant to include those new mods in the save or if they want to disable them.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

Rseding91 wrote:The sync button was never designed to disable mods. It's built around enabling mods that the save file uses. You can disable mods through the mods GUI if you don't want them enabled.

Feel free to make a suggestion in ideas and suggestions to add the ability to downgrade the active mods to what a given save uses but for now this is not a bug.
I'm not talking about downgrading. That would be a great feature, but at a minimum just add an option to disable all mods not used by the save.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

Rseding91 wrote:The sync button was never designed to disable mods. It's built around enabling mods that the save file uses. You can disable mods through the mods GUI if you don't want them enabled.

Now that's confusing. Earlier you said:
"That already exists. Un-check the "keep enabled" option."

So if this functionality doesn't exist now, then what's the "keep enabled" option for and where is it?

To "sync" mods requires enabling and disabling mods, otherwise it's not a sync.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I'll see about upgrading the GUI functionality to allow disabling mods that the save doesn't have.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

Rseding91 wrote:I'll see about upgrading the GUI functionality to allow disabling mods that the save doesn't have.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

I just updated to 0.15.2 and wanted to say thank you for implementing this feature and for implementing it so quick. I really appreciate it.

This is of great benefit to me, so thanks again :)

What you have implemented is gorgeous and does a great job. Don't take this the wrong way, I just wanted to mention a possible suggestion for improvement. I think it would be really useful to add two toggle buttons to the sync GUI, one to enable/disable all mods needed by the save, and one to enable/disable all mods not needed by the save. Basically a check or uncheck all button under each category to deal with the situation when you have many mods to enable or disable.

Thanks again for implementing this :)

Return to “Not a bug”