Way to delete blueprint books

Bugs that are actually features.
chris13524
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Way to delete blueprint books

Post by chris13524 »

Since blueprints and books are free now, I suggest some way to trash them and not be forced to store them in some chest somewhere. Perhaps similar to the "drag here to export to blueprint library" box?

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: Way to delete blueprint books

Post by Oxyd »

This is a feature request, not a bug.

But yes, I'm considering doing something like that.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

make them burnable in a furnace, train? ;)

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Oxyd wrote:But yes, I'm considering doing something like that.
Please do. It gets annoying to shoot boxes of useless, indestructible blueprints every once in a while :D

robyoublind
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by robyoublind »

Oxyd wrote:But yes, I'm considering doing something like that.
I don't think blueprints and books should appear in the inventory or even exist as items at all. If you can't craft them, they are obtainable with no cost, and aren't used anywhere as an intermediary, what's the point? Just treat the library as a special kind of inventory limited only to blueprints.

I don't think you should drag the remnants of the old design into the new system. Library GUI may require another "zoom level" (like in the Windows Explorer) to remain usable at a large number of stored blueprints, but it should become the one and only way to manage blueprints. Even books feel obsolete now, a grouping concept (inventory-based) nested in another grouping concept (item-less list, akin to the Trains tab)? Feels redundant.

"There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do it."

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

It's useful to have them as items. That way you can put them in the quickbar and access with number keys, instead of having to open the gui every time.

But you don't always want that. What if the library worked similar to a second inventory?
Grab blueprint from libary > place > Q > gone.
Grab blueprint from libary > place in quickbar > now quickly accessible.
Grab blueprint from quickbar > place > Q > back in quickbar.
Grab blueprint from quickbar > place in libary > gone.

chris13524
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by chris13524 »

Zeblote wrote:It's useful to have them as items. That way you can put them in the quickbar and access with number keys, instead of having to open the gui every time.

But you don't always want that. What if the library worked similar to a second inventory?
Grab blueprint from libary > place > Q > gone.
Grab blueprint from libary > place in quickbar > now quickly accessible.
Grab blueprint from quickbar > place > Q > back in quickbar.
Grab blueprint from quickbar > place in libary > gone.
I agree, this would me the whole system more intuitive. I had a hard time figuring out the new system because of the "cloning" functionality.

However, I think that removing a blueprint from the library and putting it in your inventory could confuse people because they won't expect the same blueprint to be available in other games. The idea was that there was suppose to be a library accessible between games, and then blueprints only available to the current game in your inventory.

What if the library acted like an inventory as far as blueprint placing and creating goes (same GUI style too), but when moving back and forth between the library and your inventory, it were to clone it? (this may be how it's done currently, but I do not have access as of writing this. Also, the different GUI style is confusing imo). Then add the trashing functionality of course.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

chris13524 wrote:However, I think that removing a blueprint from the library and putting it in your inventory could confuse people because they won't expect the same blueprint to be available in other games. The idea was that there was suppose to be a library accessible between games, and then blueprints only available to the current game in your inventory.
"Grabbing" a blueprint from the library isn't supposed to remove it from there. You just get a copy of the thing on your cursor.

chris13524
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by chris13524 »

Zeblote wrote: "Grabbing" a blueprint from the library isn't supposed to remove it from there. You just get a copy of the thing on your cursor.
I was referring to when you move the blueprint from the library to your inventory.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

In the meantime Picker extended mod destroys blueprints when you drop them on the ground with the z key

Axehilt
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Axehilt »

Very strange to call this a feature request and not a bug. New Blueprints just accumulate forever if you accidentally hit the button a few times, and there's zero purpose or functionality to letting you do that. (Instead, New Blueprint should effectively be a function button that enables the create blueprint mode (where drawing a box adds things to a blueprint) and when you drag the box you end up with a new blueprint item.) Same deal with the Blueprint book (actually I'm not sure why that's an in-game item at all since it's already a menu button...is it shareable with others in multiplayer or something?)

Return to “Not a bug”