[0.10.0] Can't smelt recipes with multiple ingredients

Bugs that are actually features.
Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.10.0] Can't smelt recipes with multiple ingredients

Post by Rahjital »

Creating a smelting recipe with more than one ingredient and trying to smelt it in a furnace with source_inventory_size greater than 1 does not work - trying to put the ingredient materials into the furnace makes the game say that the material cannot be smelted.

Here's a download link to a simple mod showcasing the problem:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/547 ... urnace.zip

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.10.0] Can't smelt recipes with multiple ingredients

Post by drs9999 »

Not a bug, but a restriction.

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

I have no idea if it's intentional or not since I haven't seen the codebase, but being suddenly unable to even insert the ingredients if the recipe needs more than one sounds like a bug to me.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Hello, this is not a bug but restriction.
Smelting is limited to one ingredient only and there is (I believe) good reason for it.

The main (nearly only) difference between the assembling machine and smelter is just the fact, that the smelter chooses the recipe automatically depending on the ingredient and the assembling machine needs the recipe to be chosen first.

Once the smelter would accept more ingredients, it could lead to problems, lets say we would make smelting recipe of iron + copper, the problem is, that when there is just iron in the oven, waiting for the copper to arrive, the smelter will just start making regular iron plates, once the copper would arrive, it would start making the combined metal the next step etc. There would also not be a way to restrict of filling both of the slots with iron-ore etc. To avoid these problems we just limited the input of the smelter to 1, for more complicated recipes, it is better to make a special smelter with type assembling machine (It still can have smelter graphics), where you have to choose the combination you want to smelt, there are mods that do it this way already I believe.

Moving to not a bug.

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

Ah, that does indeed make sense. However, the auto-choosing of recipe was the entire reason why I choose the smelter type instead of the assembling-machine type. I know it probably won't make it's way to vanilla Factorio, but it would be useful for mods that do alloy smelting. The trouble with the correct recipe being chose could be easily avoided by giving the recipes their own special recipe category (or only allowing recipes the number of ingredients of which matches the number of input slots of the smelter).

As for the problem with loading too much of a single kind of item to the input, maybe limit it to a single stack? Or perhaps add another property like maximum_stacks_of_one_kind?

Hmm, maybe this should be moved to the Mod Interface Requests subforum...

Colombo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Colombo »

Rahjital: No, that wouldn't work.

Imagine you wanna smelt iron-copper alloy. So you build your smelter, you build your belts and inserter...

And one of them arrive sooner. And BAM, instead of iron-copper alloy you had smelted pure iron.

Kovarex: Yeah, but as assembling machines are themself bugged and can't be made into burners, that doesn't help for some situations.
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=7&t=4209

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Colombo wrote:Kovarex: Yeah, but as assembling machines are themself bugged and can't be made into burners, that doesn't help for some situations.
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=7&t=4209
Yes i know, and I'm just in the process of fixing this :)

Colombo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Colombo »

Cool, thank you:D

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

Colombo wrote:Rahjital: No, that wouldn't work.

Imagine you wanna smelt iron-copper alloy. So you build your smelter, you build your belts and inserter...

And one of them arrive sooner. And BAM, instead of iron-copper alloy you had smelted pure iron.
Of course this would happen if you used a regular smelting recipe, but that's why I mentioned mods with custom recipe categories. The furnace simply wouldn't be able to smelt iron by itself, it would need both iron and copper to start working.

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by judos »

Hi all,

I know this is an old topic but I really like the idea to have furnaces with auto choosing recipes to smelt multiple ingredients into a result. As for the general limitations, I think we could all easily live with:
- Limit items being inserted of one type to one stack.
- Furnace crafts first possible recipe. (If you choose to use regular smelting category and create a recipe with iron-ore it's your own fault as modder) -> Create a custom crafting category for these furnaces with multiple ingredients is very easy.

This would allow a lot of new recipes to be created and to make the game both, more challenging and complex with some mods 8-)

Thank you for having a look at this again!

Return to “Not a bug”