[14.21 & .20] Achievements not tracked to vanilla after mod

Bugs that are actually features.
B4SK3
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[14.21 & .20] Achievements not tracked to vanilla after mod

Post by B4SK3 »

Installed mod blueprintstring. Accidentally saved. Uninstalled blueprintstring. No other mods installed ever. Factorio keeps tracking achievements towards the modded file, not vanilla. I believe the correct behaviour is to track to vanilla when there are no mods installed?

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [14.21 & .20] Achievements not tracked to vanilla after mod

Post by Smarty »

The save got marked as modded since you installed a mod

B4SK3
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by B4SK3 »

That is not the behaviour expected based on this quote by Klonan:
Achievements aren't deactivated by mods, just steam achieve achievements, and once you deactivate the mods steam achievements are enabled again.
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... 3/d55zeiz/ (admittedly a statement 4 months old made in the 0.13 age.)

Given that steam achievements only count against vanilla, I'd assume that this extends to non-steam vanilla achievements. As I'm typing this, I start to realize that there is an interpretation possible of Klonan's statement that would imply "for future saves". The statement at first read suggests "on the same save" though.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

Regardless of what Klonan said 4 months ago, to keep things fair it makes sense to disable achievements permanently once a mod is loaded. Otherwise you could load a mod, do all sorts of cheat-y things, then unload it and use those things to get achievements.

B4SK3
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by B4SK3 »

I don't disagree on the principle. However, there are still a number of things that are inconsitent behaviour related to this, and thus possibly a bug.

Using this same save, which I'll call "dirty":
1. I install mods again and load it. I immediately trigger new achievements that I already had playing the dirty save in a vanilla game. The game shows "This game is modded and achievements will be tracked separately". Achievements that I had both in vanilla and the dirty save playing vanilla are gone (20k iron / hour, 1M green circuits)
2. I deactivate the mods again and load the dirty save. The game does not show any message. The achievements I used to have with the dirty save (1M green circuits) are gone. Even worse, all progress towards such achievements is lost too. I had 1.5M green circuits before this experiment. Now the counter is at 0 again.

So, regardless of whether achievements should track to vanilla or not:
- Why does the interface not show "modded, tracked separately" on a save by save basis instead?
- Why do achievements tracked to a specific combination of mods reset when another combination is loaded?

Return to “Not a bug”