More Monitors shows less map at max zoom

Bugs that are actually features.
justarandomgeek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

More Monitors shows less map at max zoom

Post by justarandomgeek »

As shown here.

The first shot is maximized on the center monitor. The second is manually stretched to fill all three. The second shot is downscaled because imgur failed uploading the full size one. Both are as far out as I could zoom in game by scrolling the wheel.

Notice how in the first shot, you can see all six rows of the display unit, and some space above, and all the way down to the registers (black) and part of instruction fetch (white) at the bottom, while in the secone you can just barely see the third row of the display, and the bus and everything below is cut off. Both shots show nearly the same width though, reaching out the some random expirements on the left, and various instruction blocks on the right.

I would expect to be able to zoom out to the same level and see three times the area in the larger window, so that the center 1/3 matches the original one-monitor window.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: More Monitors shows less map at max zoom

Post by DaveMcW »

It's not a monitor issue, it's an aspect ratio issue. The max zoom level is calculated as ZOOM < MIN(width, height). So the best aspect ratio for seeing a long distance is 1:1 (square).

I assume this is to prevent extremely narrow windows from using too much GPU. A better calculation would be ZOOM < (width * height).

justarandomgeek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: More Monitors shows less map at max zoom

Post by justarandomgeek »

DaveMcW wrote:It's not a monitor issue, it's an aspect ratio issue. The max zoom level is calculated as ZOOM < MIN(width, height). So the best aspect ratio for seeing a long distance is 1:1 (square).

I assume this is to prevent extremely narrow windows from using too much GPU. A better calculation would be ZOOM < (width * height).
The point is though, when I put factorio on three monitors, i can see *less* of the world, not more.

Return to “Not a bug”