[14.19] Biters not attacking

Bugs that are actually features.
Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [14.19] Biters not attacking

Post by Loewchen »

To get this back on track: Nothing reported here is suggesting a bug but just incorrect assumptions on what should be happening.

Unless someone can provide a save-file with:
  1. version .14
  2. no mods
  3. enemy bases constantly consuming pollution
  4. no attacks at all from anywhere for 15 minutes.
there is no need for any more updates on this matter.

mtilsted
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mtilsted »

Loewchen wrote:To get this back on track: Nothing reported here is suggesting a bug but just incorrect assumptions on what should be happening.

Unless someone can provide a save-file with:
  1. version .14
  2. no mods
  3. enemy bases constantly consuming pollution
  4. no attacks at all from anywhere for 15 minutes.
there is no need for any more updates on this matter.
But I did. Just look at my 20MW map I attached to this thread. I have tried to load that 4 times, and let it run for 20 minutes each time. And I newer saw a single attackwave forming.
And this is using 0.14.19 from steam. And I have newer installed a mod to this game.

And I know that if some other people load the exact same game, attackwaves start forming instantly and will attack within a few minutes. So there is a bug where for some users attackwaves newer happend. And it's not just the attached game. It's all my games I ever played. I have researched the final rockets tech, in a game with standard settings without ever seeing an attack wave.

Also: More users have reported the exact same problem on the steam forum.

My best guess now is that it has something to do with the difficulty the played used when playing the campaign.(Se my previous message).

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Both uploads have attacks within 3 minutes.

mtilsted
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mtilsted »

Ok, let me try again with a new game using the following setup

Minimum starting area. Maximum bitter bases. Anything else on default. So the worst most aggresive startup. I observe the following oddities

1: I have not researched any weapons or towers. I defend myself successfully only with a gun. That should not be possible for a 23 mw factory in the most aggresive settings. But it is possible since each base only send a small(3-9 biters) initial wave, once they get hit by polition, and then they newer send more.

2: There are no spitters anyware.

3: There are only small bitters. Even the bitters close to 20 steam engines running on full power for 20 minutes, are not evolved at all. Only small bitters and small worms. Nothing else.

4: I have attached 2 games to this message. The first 24MW1 is saved once I get a full 24MW power production starting. The game 24MW2 is what happens when I play 24MW1 for 20 minutes. In those 20 minutes, I was attacked by 1 bitter. When loading this map, you will notice: There are no evolved biters. There are no attacking waves forming(Look at the map, there is plenty of rader visibility, so I should be able to see the groups forming, if there were any). And there are no spitters. And there are no evolved bitters either. Only small bitters.

My theory is still that the game somehow, switch to "easy" instead of normal, despise the fact that there in no place explicit to set difficulty when playnig free mode rocket builder.

And it's not just me who got this problem. The original thread was not started by me, and just look at https://steamcommunity.com/app/427520/d ... 327391934/ for an other guy with the same problem.
Attachments
24MW2.zip
(5.45 MiB) Downloaded 71 times
24MW1.zip
(5.39 MiB) Downloaded 69 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Do the save files you provided meet the criteria I stated or not?

mtilsted
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mtilsted »

Loewchen wrote:Do the save files you provided meet the criteria I stated or not?
24MW1 does meet the stated criteria. (EDIT: But please see the next message for an even better test save game). After loading that and keeping it running for for 20 minutes, I have been attacked by a total of 1 bitter(So no waves at all), and it's a 23MW factory on a max bitter bases, minimum starting area map, hitting at least 4 bitter bases with pollution.
Last edited by mtilsted on Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mtilsted
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mtilsted »

I have attached an even better save game to show the problem to this message, called 34MW5. It's a continuation of the previous game, but now with a 34MW factory. It also got a few towers to kill the few stray bitters which come by, so I don't have to walk back.

On the map, you can see the biter base to my left covered in so much pollution from 30 steam engines, that the square is red all the time on the overview map. Yet no bitters are leaving to form a attack wave. All is peace and quiet and the only biters attacking are the small groups(Less then 10) which come each time a new bitter base get hit from pollution for the first time. But no attack waves.

Also: I have attached 34MV_visited, which is the same game, but where I have visited the bitter bases close to my current user, and killed all the bitters once. Here you can see that they spawn new bitters, and also runners which join in groups and start attack waves. But this only happens once I visit a bitter base, and kill all the bitters in the base.
Attachments
34MW_Visited.zip
(5.9 MiB) Downloaded 75 times
34MW5.zip
(5.54 MiB) Downloaded 83 times

Return to “Not a bug”