[0.14.14] Tiered Technology names not being displayed

Bugs that are actually features.
DutchTed
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.14.14] Tiered Technology names not being displayed

Post by DutchTed »

On the face of it this seems the same as 33847 except its happening in mods.

I wrote a mod back in 0.13 which allows for longer underground pipes along with five technologies to research. The locale cfg file reflects the tech names and defines the text:-

Code: Select all

[technology-name]
dutchted-pipelines-1=Pipelines 1
dutchted-pipelines-2=Pipelines 2
dutchted-pipelines-3=Pipelines 3
dutchted-pipelines-4=Pipelines 4
dutchted-pipelines-5=Pipelines 5

[technology-description]
dutchted-pipelines-1=Advances in pipe design allowing pipes to be laid underground for short distances
dutchted-pipelines-2=Advances in pipe design allowing pipes to be laid underground for medium distances
dutchted-pipelines-3=Advances in pipe design allowing pipes to be laid underground for long distances
dutchted-pipelines-4=Advances in pipe design allowing pipes to be laid underground for very long distances
dutchted-pipelines-5=Advances in pipe design allowing pipes to be laid underground for extreme distances
The tech names and descriptions were working fine up until recently (no problems at all with 0.13 and earlier versions of 0.14), however recently both have stopped working. I think this happened with 0.14.13 but its definitely still happening with 0.14.14 on a game we started on Wednesday. It was also noticable on a game we were playing previously which I think was started on 0.14.10. The "feature" seemed to start happening after the upgrade to 0.14.13.

I can get it working if I use the name without the number in the cfg file, but this means all tiers of the technology then have the same name and description. I don't mind the same name but I'd prefer to be allowed to enter individual descriptions for each tier.

[technology-name]
dutchted-pipelines=Hmm, this works

[technology-description]
dutchted-pipelines=Hmm, this description also works
Image and Image etc

I did have a look and couldn't see this being named as a new feature but coming across the bug report for the accumulators makes me think this isn't working as intended either. Either way, I'd be grateful for some clarification.

Thanks

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.14.14] Tiered Technology names not being displayed

Post by aubergine18 »

Numbers at the end of names is problematic, seen a few cases of this - it doesn't just affect locale keys, but also recipes and other stuff too.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Thanks for the report,

The locale system was changed sometime in 0.14, so now to define numbered locale entries you need the definition in the technology prototype:

Game example:

{
    type = "technology",
    name = "armor-making-3",
    icon = "__base__/graphics/technology/armor-making.png",
    localised_name = {"technology-name.armor-making-3"},
    localised_description = {"technology-description.armor-making-3"},
    effects =
    {
      {
        type = "unlock-recipe",
        recipe = "modular-armor"
      }
    },
    prerequisites = {"armor-making-2", "speed-module"},
    unit =
    {
      count = 100,
      ingredients = {{"science-pack-1", 1}, {"science-pack-2", 1}},
      time = 30
    },
    order = "g-a-c"
  },

DutchTed
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DutchTed »

Thanks for the reply and the clarification :)

Return to “Not a bug”