*[13.20, 14.2] Gate stops sending open signal too early when open for train.

Bugs that are actually features.
MPeti1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

*[13.20, 14.2] Gate stops sending open signal too early when open for train.

Post by MPeti1 »

Hi!
I just found a bug when i built a train-gate system with some feedback lamps. The gate only sends the signal as long as the first train went through it, no matter if the second, third, etc trains and vagons are not went through yet.
Here is a video about it, because i'm not sure i wrote everything as it is, because of my not-too-good english
https://youtu.be/YDXjGAmrcLE

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Gate bug if train goes through

Post by Loewchen »

1. What version are you using
  2. Can you reproduce this without mods?
  3. What is the gate circuit supposed to do?
  4. Please upload the save file!

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

I confirmed it on modded 14.2, if I get a chance to try vanilla I will

Create a track with a gate in the middle. Wire the gate to lamp. set the gate to read sensor, red-signal. set the lamp to use colors, red>0

create a 2+ length train on one side of the gate and send it through either manually or automaticly

After the first loco goes through the lamp turns off (gate stays open correctly just no longer outputs signal for train)

Also not sure if a bug or not but using everything>0 on the lamp lights up the lamp even if no signals are present.

MPeti1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MPeti1 »

Loewchen wrote:
  1. What version are you using
  2. Can you reproduce this without mods?
  3. What is the gate circuit supposed to do?
  4. Please upload the save file!
I.10.13.20
II.Yes. But now when i tryed it without mods, it's just more buggy, because the lamps are blinking with red-green colors when the first train goes through
III.It supposed to set the lamps to green color when i can safely go through the rails (if there is no trains coming), and to red if a train is near and opened the gate(s).
IV.Here you can find the vanilla save, and the modded save with all of the mods. https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArvLKxtjzZnrkvsZbu1uGchyD9UYPg
Last edited by MPeti1 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MPeti1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MPeti1 »

If any of you downloads the modded map, can you say how many UPS you has, and what is your HW configuration, and system? It'll be good, because i want to see my pc is too weak, or i have a very performance hungry factory. Thanks

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

I tested the non moded file and build a circuit myself that should do the same (because I did not understand how that implementation even worked :)), it had the same issue, the gate stops sending the open signal right after the locomotive passes even it is still open and the wagons have not passed yet.
Edit: tested with 14.2

MPeti1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MPeti1 »

Loewchen wrote:I tested the non moded file and build a circuit myself that should do the same (because I did not understand how that implementation even worked :)), it had the same issue, the gate stops sending the open signal right after the locomotive passes even it is still open and the wagons have not passed yet.
Edit: tested with 14.2
The constant combinator is only built because it sends the green signal to the lamp if the gate not sending the red signal. The gate needs to overwrite the green signal with the red. Or i'm wrong if i think the lamp uses the newest signal's color? If i'm wrong, could you send a blueprint string about your gate sensor?

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: *[13.20, 14.2] Gate stops sending open signal too early when open for train.

Post by Twinsen »

I didn't thoroughly investigate this but I would say not a bug. There are 2 different things here: the gate sensor and the gate itself.
Gate sensor senses a train is approaching and opens the gate. When the train locomotive passes, the sensor is no longer active and the gate is told to close. Then internally the gate tries to close. There is a train on top of it so it can not close yet. It keeps trying to close until there is nothing on top of it.

Basically it depends what you want to read:
- read the sensor: the way it correctly works now: sends a signal when there is a player or approaching locomotive
- read the gate state: sends a signal when the gate is open

I know it's rather confusing, but it's how it works internally for performance reasons.

MPeti1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: *[13.20, 14.2] Gate stops sending open signal too early when open for train.

Post by MPeti1 »

Twinsen wrote:I didn't thoroughly investigate this but I would say not a bug. There are 2 different things here: the gate sensor and the gate itself.
Gate sensor senses a train is approaching and opens the gate. When the train locomotive passes, the sensor is no longer active and the gate is told to close. Then internally the gate tries to close. There is a train on top of it so it can not close yet. It keeps trying to close until there is nothing on top of it.

Basically it depends what you want to read:
- read the sensor: the way it correctly works now: sends a signal when there is a player or approaching locomotive
- read the gate state: sends a signal when the gate is open

I know it's rather confusing, but it's how it works internally for performance reasons.
Thanks
And can i read the gate state (open or closed)? If i can, how? I can't figure out so far all of the circuit system (it's the same with the train signal system when i started the game, but now i don't know how i don't understood it :D ), but as i know there isn't a "block update detector" in the game, or a game mechanism what can used for this. It'll be good if i can do this :D Now it's just a little thing, but later if the game gets a new feature that can use this information other than to open and close a gate to prevent players to be killed by a train, it'll be better if it's working as expected.

An other thing. Sorry if I don't understand correctly what "forum people" (sorry if it's a bad expression) says, but it can be becasue my "motherlanguage" is not english. Maybe it can be better by the time :)

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

MPeti1 wrote:And can i read the gate state (open or closed)?
No, not at the moment.

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

Perhaps install train signals, that sense a train present ,and send it to the lamps. Im sure this is equivalent to an open gate when trains are involved. You can install this additionally to the gate sensor that detects the player.

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

Reported again: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=80584

Strongly disagree that this is not a bug, see description and points there.
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

Return to “Not a bug”