[0.14.1] Evolution factor from forest fire

Bugs that are actually features.
IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.14.1] Evolution factor from forest fire

Post by IronCartographer »

This is probably a Won't Fix, but when using the /evolution command at the start of the game, Time is 100%

As soon as the player starts generating pollution with machines like the burner miner, Time drops to 99% (Pollution remains at 0% due to rounding, presumably)

This shows that it is the *emission* of pollution that raises evolution.

However, if the player cheats in a flamethrower (for testing purposes, of course :D ) and sets fire to hundreds of trees, Time remains at 100% (at least until a spawner is destroyed).

Is this intended? The pollution-evolution from fire seems like it must be trivial, and I mainly ask out of curiosity after recalling the evolution factor tweaks mentioned in https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-142
We felt that the evolution factor growth doesn't slow down enough towards the higher value. In our specific game, it probably grew faster than usually as Scott was more than eager to test the new fire mechanics by setting every forest he found on fire. So we couldn't know what affected the evolution factor the most.
Forest fire doesn't seem to contribute at all though! :)

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.14.1] Evolution factor from forest fire

Post by Loewchen »

I think this is a misunderstanding, burning the forest does not contribute directly but only because the destroyed trees do not remove any pollution anymore. I was under the impression though that pollution reduction by trees had no effect on the evo factor either as simply the emission would count w/o regard to the reduction.
Either way, this is more of a feature request.

Return to “Not a bug”