Inserter does not retain specified buffer_capacity

Bugs that are actually features.
FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Inserter does not retain specified buffer_capacity

Post by FreeER »

Not sure if this is actually a 'bug' or something intended since the source has a function to update the buffer size (and I assume that's the issue)...but I tried to specify a buffer size for an inserter (looked into it for the telelogisitics mod) and found that it was ignored (though changing the energy_per_movement and/or the energy_per_rotation worked, I did both at the same time so not sure if only one matters)
For testing I tried to specify a buffer_capacity of "90TW" (since I figured that would be an insanely obvious change :)), however in game the returned energy stayed at 224.
Not sure if this affects any entities other than the inserter...but it seems to me that if a buffer_capacity was specified in the source that is higher than the 'seemingly needed' capacity it shouldn't be overridden.

btw you can use a 'k' to specify kilo but for the rest of the multipliers you must use the capital version ('M','G', and 'T'), just a bit of inconsistency I noticed.

edit: tested in 0.9.7 and 0.9.8

Holy-Fire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Inserter does not retain specified buffer_capacity

Post by Holy-Fire »

FreeER wrote:btw you can use a 'k' to specify kilo but for the rest of the multipliers you must use the capital version ('M','G', and 'T'), just a bit of inconsistency I noticed.
That's the Metric prefix standard.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Holy-Fire wrote:
FreeER wrote:btw you can use a 'k' to specify kilo but for the rest of the multipliers you must use the capital version ('M','G', and 'T'), just a bit of inconsistency I noticed.
That's the Metric prefix standard.
Oh, yeah, I knew that somewhere in the back of my head :), but you can also use 'K' for kilo, which is not part of the standard (at least not from the wiki page you linked me). I didn't want to create a new topic just for that, especially since I don't think it's important, so I just figured I'd mention it here in a 'side note' kind of way.
edit: now that I've seen the prefix chart the 'k' is probably to fit the standard and the 'K' is probably to fit the fact that the other (used) prefixes are all capital...

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

You shouldn't, cause "K" is the Unit for Kelvin.

It makes many sense to take care of these small differences, like I saw shortly someone, which makes fun about a converter-app which couldn't convert "1 kB" correctly to 1024 Bytes, how everybody knows. But what he doesn't seem to know is, that 1 kB = 1000 Bytes is totally correct. The correct Unit he meant for that is "KiB". One Kibibyte is 1024 Bytes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibibyte)
All former specifications are deprecated since around 2007.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

ssilk wrote:All former specifications are deprecated since around 2007.
I do not believe I have ever heard of a kibibyte (or any of these others) in the US...and I have an Associates of Applied Science degree in Computer Maintenance (at least that's what the community college called it) from less than a year ago :lol:

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

It's like Pluto is not longer the ninth planet, but a dwarf planet now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluto since 2006.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

ssilk wrote:It's like Pluto is not longer the ninth planet, but a dwarf planet now.
No no, I actually know/heard about that one :)
However, I think this is now a bit off topic :)
Funny, what I considered a 'side note' has been the only thing responded to so far :lol:

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

The buffer_capacity can be specified, but it is automatically set (overwriten) for some kind of entities:
Inserter, Mining Drill, Furnace, Assembling machine, Lab maybe some other.

The reason for this is, that the buffer is calculated to fit the needs of the machine (depending on speed and rotation/extension consumption for inserter, depending on modules for the rest).

For the particular usage (of the mod telelogistics). You can set the rotation/extension consumption higher or just drain the electricity for some time and store into a variable how much did you accumulate for the entity, once you have enough, you can make the needed transfer.

Anyway, as this is expected behavior I'm moving this to not a bug.
If you think that modders should be able to specify the buffer to not be overwritten in some cases, you can set it as modding interface request.

Return to “Not a bug”