[13.10] Biome at start-area not influenced by water setting

Bugs that are actually features.
AntiElitz
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[13.10] Biome at start-area not influenced by water setting

Post by AntiElitz »

Terrain Segmentation Frequency somehow got renamed into Water Frequency. However this doesn't seem to be the proper title since it still determines the width of biomes (eg deserts).
Additionally the biomes used to be influenced by the water setting. When you selected few water, you would find yourself in a desert with a lot of rocks and few trees a lot of times. Since 0.13.10 the biome doesn't seem to be influenced by the water settings anymore - I rerolled a lot of maps and NEVER started in a desert, but ALWAYS in the woods. That is very sad since a liked the variety of the starting area biomes and loved desert ones. However I'm sure the decouplign of these 2 was not intended and is a newly introduced bug.

Ps: In early 0.12 the wood's were pretty annoying since they blocked the movement a lot of times. The solution to this was reducing the tree's hitboxes, so you could pass woods more easily. Since 0.13 the woods seem to be more dense and therefore blocking the movement very often once again. When already working on the mapgen, I'd suggest making the woods a little less dense again.

Dry Hairy Tree
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.13.10] Map generation

Post by Dry Hairy Tree »

About that map generator. Running latest version.

This type of thing is common. I'm trying to select large water. It's pretty awful 8-)
PIC

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.13.10] Map generation

Post by Loewchen »

AntiElite wrote:Terrain Segmentation Frequency somehow got renamed into Water Frequency. However this doesn't seem to be the proper title since it still determines the width of biomes (eg deserts).
Additionally the biomes used to be influenced by the water setting. When you selected few water, you would find yourself in a desert with a lot of rocks and few trees a lot of times. Since 0.13.10 the biome doesn't seem to be influenced by the water settings anymore - I rerolled a lot of maps and NEVER started in a desert, but ALWAYS in the woods. That is very sad since a liked the variety of the starting area biomes and loved desert ones. However I'm sure the decouplign of these 2 was not intended and is a newly introduced bug.

Ps: In early 0.12 the wood's were pretty annoying since they blocked the movement a lot of times. The solution to this was reducing the tree's hitboxes, so you could pass woods more easily. Since 0.13 the woods seem to be more dense and therefore blocking the movement very often once again. When already working on the mapgen, I'd suggest making the woods a little less dense again.
I am afraid this is too confusing, please only post more than one issue if they are different results of the same defect. Best use the Action > Result > Expectation method to help you structure the post.
Thank you.

AntiElitz
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.13.10] [Pending] Map generation

Post by AntiElitz »

Alright, I'll try again:
Water settings used to influence starting area biomes

0.13.9 and before:
few water settings-> mostly desert starting area
much water settings -> mostly Woods starting area
medium water settings -> different (random?) starting area

0.13.10:
Every water setting -> nearly always wood starting area

Expected bug: Biomes is not influenced by water anymore / starting area is always woods:

Result: Starting area is always the same woods biom -> boring, because there is fewer variance. ( And I like desert starting area and hate woods )

Expectation: Make starting area biomes behave the same as in 0.13.9 and earlier and make spawns in desert more likely, when playing with lower water setting. Note: I'm not talking about the ore generation, but only the biomes.

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.13.10] [Pending] Map generation

Post by IronCartographer »

Regarding desert starts, AntiElite: It is possible to get them, they're just random and significantly less common than in 0.12. Personally I like that, for containing pollution, but the ability to control the biome bias of your starting area or even the whole world would be very nice.

That said: 0.13.10 is a huge refinement, with viable starting areas likely even with low frequency settings. The biome distribution blending the old 0.12 macro- and the early 0.13 micro-biomes is awesome! :)

The current state of map generation seems quite good for 0.13, so I'd be happy if everything below were considered for 0.14 or beyond to address almost all concerns people have brought up:

1) Non-circular starting area, for blending with surrounding terrain and biomes
2) Player control over world biome bias (via humidity->Plant/tree density, different from surface water amount)
3) Player control over starting area biome bias, resource richness, and enemy distance (proxy for size)

Everything else stays the same:

:idea: https://jsfiddle.net/1boffeft/2/

Would this work for you, AntiElite?

*wanders off considering the possibility of a wood-saw mod to accelerate early-game deforestation, and wondering if if the greenish water from the campaign maps will ever be used in map generation for smaller bodies of water*

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [13.10] Biome at start-area not influenced by water setting

Post by Rseding91 »

That's by design, water frequency doesn't change what kind of tiles generate but just lowers the frequency of water.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Not a bug”