[0.13.08] no red/green wires are consumed by blueprint build

Bugs that are actually features.
Vetinary
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.13.08] no red/green wires are consumed by blueprint build

Post by Vetinary »

When any given blueprint containing red/green wire is being build by personal robots, no red/green wire from the players inventory is consumed. I did not test it with the robot network, but my guess is, its the same.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.13.08] no red/green wires are consumed by blueprint build

Post by Rseding91 »

That's by design. We didn't feel it was worth it to implement a ton of logic just for wires.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

This makes a huge difference in used resources. I use a lot of wires in train stations to balance buffer chests. Something like 80 wires for a 2 cars train stop with double sided loading or unloading. With Bluebuild mod or roboport suddenly you get 80 wires for free per train station. But only for new stations or when you deconstruct the old station first before blueprinting a new one.

I think wires need more special cases. They should need resources and blueprints should be able to add them to existing entities.

Muche
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Muche »

I would accept blueprinted colored wires costing resources only if removing them returned them back.

Currently, no refunds on removed wires and free blueprinted wires means that developing new circuitry (i.e. adding and removing wires) has an upfront cost that you'll get back with each placed blueprint of finished circuitry.
Refunds on removed wires and blueprinted wires costing resources would make them act like the rest of entities (promoting experimentation and frequent rebuilds).

Then there is the matter of basic wires. Having colored wires act differently from basic wires could cause confusion. Thus the full solution would be to include basic wires as well - all placed/blueprinted poles cost wires as well, blueprints remember wires connections, removing wires refunds them.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Muche wrote:I would accept blueprinted colored wires costing resources only if removing them returned them back.

Currently, no refunds on removed wires and free blueprinted wires means that developing new circuitry (i.e. adding and removing wires) has an upfront cost that you'll get back with each placed blueprint of finished circuitry.
Refunds on removed wires and blueprinted wires costing resources would make them act like the rest of entities (promoting experimentation and frequent rebuilds).

Then there is the matter of basic wires. Having colored wires act differently from basic wires could cause confusion. Thus the full solution would be to include basic wires as well - all placed/blueprinted poles cost wires as well, blueprints remember wires connections, removing wires refunds them.
And as I suggested before the power poles should then cost less / no copper. The coper is in the wires that will cost extra.

Return to “Not a bug”