[0.13.4] Extremely slow startup on Linux 64 bit

Bugs that are actually features.
thuejk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.13.4] Extremely slow startup on Linux 64 bit

Post by thuejk »

Factorio is extremely slow to start for me. It says "loading sprites" for literally ~10 minutes.

I have a Q9300 CPU and 8GB RAM, which should be enough. Only slightly dicy thing is Radeon HD 4830, but I don't see how that should matter for the upstart.

This has been the same for me on previous versions.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.13.4] Extremely slow startup on Linux 64 bit

Post by Rseding91 »

Try turning the VRAM usage to low in the config.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

Any chance your HDD might be the problem? Not so much that it's slow but it is battling with error correction trying to read stuff. Things like that tend to happen with older HDDs.

How's the computer load during the period sprites are loaded? Anything interesting going on with CPU/disk IO loads?

thuejk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by thuejk »

@Rseding91 That made the loading much faster (and 2-3 minutes now), though it is obviously still very slow in absolute terms.

@hoho I have a fast well-tested SSD, and everything else seems to work very well. Factorio is using moderate amounts of CPU and RAM while loading slowly. But the graphics seem to freeze intermittantly, indicating the graphics card related stuff is the problem.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

thuejk wrote:@Rseding91 That made the loading much faster (and 2-3 minutes now), though it is obviously still very slow in absolute terms.

@hoho I have a fast well-tested SSD, and everything else seems to work very well. Factorio is using moderate amounts of CPU and RAM while loading slowly. But the graphics seem to freeze intermittantly, indicating the graphics card related stuff is the problem.
You need a better graphics card if you want it to not be slow :)

512 MB VRAM is the *minimum* requirements for Factorio. You really want something with 2-4 GB.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

thuejk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by thuejk »

I thought it was a 2D game! With very few textures. This computer runs e.g. Minecraft perfectly fine.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

thuejk wrote:I thought it was a 2D game! With very few textures. This computer runs e.g. Minecraft perfectly fine.
This is a 2d game, with A LOT of textures. High quality sprite animations require massive amounts of vram.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

thuejk wrote:With very few textures.
Not very many of them, sure, but at rather high resolution.
thuejk wrote: This computer runs e.g. Minecraft perfectly fine.
Default Minecraft textures are 16x16 pixels. Average 3x3 tile building in Factorio is around 100x130 pixels or roughly 50x more pixels.

Assembly machine #1 has 792x408 pixel tilesheet for all the animation frames, that's around 1262x more than a single minecraft texture. Stuff that has overlays (e.g beacon) uses even more textures :)

I wouldn't be surprised if Factorio in full 3D with animated models instead of animated tiles would take far less memory than it does at the moment.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

hoho wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Factorio in full 3D with animated models instead of animated tiles would take far less memory than it does at the moment.
And it would look cooler :D

thuejk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by thuejk »

hoho wrote:Assembly machine #1 has 792x408 pixel tilesheet for all the animation frames
Ah. That would explain it. Do you know if they have considered including a version at 1/4 size for low-VRAM machines? That would obviously reduce quality (though not too much I would assume), but should cut video memory usage dramatically.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

thuejk wrote: Do you know if they have considered including a version at 1/4 size for low-VRAM machines? That would obviously reduce quality (though not too much I would assume), but should cut video memory usage dramatically.
That's exactly what VRAM usage = low does.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

Zeblote wrote:
hoho wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Factorio in full 3D with animated models instead of animated tiles would take far less memory than it does at the moment.
And it would look cooler :D
I'm not sure if it would, really. It certainly wouldn't be possible to have tens of thousands of objects on screen running at 60UPS/FPS on as low-end machines as it does at the moment.

Return to “Not a bug”