[12.35] Biter Pathfinding Anomaly slows down simulation

Bugs that are actually features.
kaZ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[12.35] Biter Pathfinding Anomaly slows down simulation

Post by kaZ »

I enabled show_paths to see if I am still followed by biters. While cruising through the multiplayer world with that option enabled I found the following:
It appears that there are several unfullfilled pathfindings for biters. There are no biter bases in that area anymore for about a week. These (dead?) pathfindings slow down the client (!) and maybe the server (?). Prove -> Dead Pathfindings on screen 16-17 FPS // Dead Pathfindings off screen but closeby that area: regular 37-38 FPS (huge map though ^^).

What I tried so far: I lured 2-3 Biter from far away to that position and rage quitted the server to make them loose my track in the hope they fullfill their job at these positions. No success so far. After that I tried to set up primary biter targets (unpowered laser, polluting assembler) -> No Success.
Mod-Zip and Server-IP: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=20025
Savegame: http://www.file-upload.net/download-116 ... y.zip.html
Attachments
path finding.png
path finding.png (2.97 MiB) Viewed 1453 times
anomaly off screen.png
anomaly off screen.png (3.34 MiB) Viewed 1453 times
anomaly on screen.png
anomaly on screen.png (3.83 MiB) Viewed 1453 times
anomaly 2.png
anomaly 2.png (4.3 MiB) Viewed 1453 times

searker
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [12.35] Biter Pathfinding Anomaly slows down simulation

Post by searker »

Does the FPS-Drop also occur when you turn off the paths but stand in the same spots?
If not, it might just be the rendering of those paths that is slowing down you game (not dramatic since you usually have them turned off)

Besides: The game / simulation itself is not slowed down when your FPS drop. This just means that your graphics card cant render all those changes and the game appears to stutter (for you). The game speed itself is determined by the UPS. Since Factorio does usually run at 60 UPS (60 Ticks / 60 "Game-Steps" per Second), it would, for example, run at half the normal speed when your UPS drop down to 30.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Hey KaZ :P

I think those are cached paths so they don't have to be recalculated when an enemy wants to take a similar path again, so they are advantages actually.
The fps drop is purely caused by very inefficient implementation of the rendering for all the debug stuff.

Edit: Beautiful bug-report though. ;)

kaZ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by kaZ »

Hi searker, Hi Loewchen,

the "bug" does not appear while de-bug option show_paths is disabled. Wonderful. I think I have to drink beer now upon this shock, or even harder stuff. "Don't ever try to find a bug" :D

Return to “Not a bug”